Construction underway at Richmond Kindergarten
Thursday 28 April 2022
Families in Richmond are getting closer to a new and improved Richmond Kindergarten thanks to funding from the Victorian Government and Yarra City Council.
Minister for Early Childhood, the Hon Ingrid Stitt, joined Yarra Mayor, Cr Sophie Wade, to view the progress of new facilities being constructed at the site to increase capacity and cater for three-year -old kinder from 2022.
The project was jointly funded by a $2 million contribution from Yarra City Council and a $500,000 grant from the Victorian Government’s Children’s Facilities Capital Program.
Importantly, the upgrades to the facility will be environmentally sustainable and incorporate energy efficient features like:
- Water harvesting
- High-rated sustainable taps to help minimise water use
- Solar panels installed on the roof
- Energy efficient technology such as LED lighting, sensors in rooms, and increased insulation in ceilings
- Removal of gas – everything will be powered by electricity from renewable sources
- Where possible, recycled and repurposed timber and other building materials will be used
Yarra City Council Mayor Sophie Wade said this new facility will make a positive impact on families in Yarra.
“With the completion of this project, we will see more kindergarten places available for local families, and importantly, the introduction of three-year-old kinder. We’re excited to deliver this new, accessible, inclusive and sustainable space to the local community,” she said.
For more information on the project, visit The Cubby House, Richmond Kindergarten and the Stables upgrade project.
For more information about the kindergarten and to book a tour, visit the Richmond Kindergarten page.