Repairing over replacing
Wednesday 09 February 2022
Did you know, 60 hard rubbish collections are booked in Yarra each day? That leads to more than 2900 tonnes of hard rubbish being collected annually. That is equal to collecting 6,500 grand pianos every year.
Our team can rehome and recycle 880 tonnes of this ourselves and with the support of partner organisations. Unfortunately, this means more than 2000 tonnes of hard rubbish is still going to landfill every year.
With the amount of hard rubbish increasing, we are asking residents to consider some alternative options. One option is taking your items to a repair café where you can learn to mend and fix your items at home.
There are several sessions happening in Yarra soon. Click the links below to register:
- Saturday 19 February 2022 from 10am to 1pm - North Carlton Railway Neighbourhood House
- Saturday 26 February 2022 from 10am to 1pm - Alphington Community Centre
- Saturday 5 March 2022 from 10am to 1pm - Alphington Community Centre
Another option to rehome your items is by listing them for free on Gumtree or Facebook Marketplace.
Yarra Libraries will also be hosting 3 sessions throughout February to help our residents rehome and repair their items. These sessions will take place both virtually and in-person.
Click the links below to register:
- Buying and selling items on Gumtree and eBay - Monday 14 February from 10am to 11.30am
- Buying and selling items on Facebook Marketplace - Wednesday 16 February from 2pm to 3pm
- Upcycle your wardrobe with Bethany Alice - Thursday 24 February from 5.30pm to 7.30pm at Bargoonga Nganjin North Fitzroy Library
Looking to clear out more items? You can find where to repair, reuse or recycle items, with Yarra’s Zero Waste Map. This includes:
Every little bit that you donate to be reused or recycled before a hard rubbish collection will help reduce what is sent to landfill.