Celebrating New Year’s Eve in Yarra’s Parks and Gardens – what you need to know!
Wednesday 29 December 2021
Yarra City Council is encouraging safe and family-friendly New Year’s Eve celebrations this holiday period.
We’ll be hosting a number of outdoor events including movies, live music, light installations, sports competitions and games at Edinburgh Gardens and Barkly Gardens all afternoon and into the evening.
When joining us for our celebrations please keep in mind that Yarra’s local parks and public areas will be alcohol and glass free zones.
Consuming alcohol in Yarra’s public parks will not be permitted from 9pm on Thursday 30 December 2021 until 9am Saturday 1 January 2022.
Amplified music in public areas is also prohibited under local laws and people are encouraged to leave glass at home on the night.
Council wants to promote an inclusive and welcoming atmosphere in Yarra’s public spaces on New Year’s Eve.
Extra bins, toilets, lighting, and event staff will be provided in Edinburgh Gardens and some of our other popular parks, for people who come along to enjoy an alcohol-free celebration.
Council has been working closely with Victoria Police in the lead up to New Year’s Eve with Police patrolling the parks and gardens throughout the night.
When you visit our parks, help us out by:
- using the public toilets provided, not the laneways
- taking your rubbish with you if the bins are full
- avoiding glass and taking any recyclables home with you
- following COVID-19 restrictions
- respecting the neighbours and keep the noise down
- don’t peg down marquees - use weights only
- cleaning up after your dog and keep them on a leash unless you’re in a designated off-leash area.