Community Award Winners for 2021: Honouring Yarra's everyday heroes
Tuesday 16 November 2021
Each year, we honour the everyday heroes who make outstanding contributions to our community with the Yarra Community Awards.
Last night, we announced this year’s winners.
And the winners are…
- Citizen of the Year: Fatuma Muhudin
- Young Citizen of the Year: Raghda Adam
- Community Initiative of the Year: Michelle Edwards and the Community Compost Group
- Community Spirit: Lyndsey Watson
- Contributions to Arts: Caroline Philips
- Contributions to Heritage: Terence Nott
- Contributions to Sport: Stella Lesic
- Contributions to Diversity and Inclusion: Ha Nguyen
Supporting our community to recover and reconnect
This year we added a special category to our awards, the Community Spirit Award. This award recognises the individuals and groups who have supported community recovery and resilience during the COVID-19 pandemic.
The challenges and community contributions during the past two years have been significant and we are incredibly grateful and proud of how our community have supported each other during this time. We know the recovery work will continue over the coming years – as we reopen and reconnect.
Thanks to everyone who submitted a nomination for this year’s awards. It’s always uplifting and inspiring to hear of the fantastic projects and people within our community.
Read the stories of our Community Award Winners
- Fatuma Muhudin – Citizen of the Year 2021
- Raghda Adam – Young Citizen of the Year 2021
- Michelle Edwards and the Community Compost Group – Community Initiative of the Year 2021
- Lyndsey Watson – Community Spirit 2021
- Caroline Philips – Contributions to Arts 2021
- Terence Nott – Contributions to Heritage 2021
- Stella Lesic – Contributions to Sport 2021
- Ha Nguyen – Contributions to Diversity and Inclusion 2021