Severe weather warning for Thursday 13 December and Friday 14 December
Wednesday 12 December 2018
The Bureau of Meteorology has issued a severe weather warning with heavy rainfall, possible thunderstorms and possible flash flooding on Thursday 13 December and Friday 14 December.
In Yarra, our local road network forms part of our drainage system. It is expected that some roads will flood during very heavy rainfall. This is normal – our roads are designed to hold the flowing stormwater when there is a lot of rain over a short period.
Before a storm hits, you can be prepared by:
- cleaning your gutters, downpipes and drains to ensure they are not blocked
- parking your car safely undercover and away from trees
- securing loose items around your house
During a storm:
- If your waste and recycle bins are due to be collected, please ensure that your bins are not overflowing and the lids are fully closed
- If you have booked a hard waste or green waste collection, please ensure there are no loose items that can be blown around
- Any rubbish blown around will be cleaned up during the next scheduled cleaning day
If you are outdoors when flooding occurs:
- stay away from trees, drains, low-lying areas, creeks, canals, culverts and floodwater
- never walk, ride or drive through floodwater
- seek shelter indoors
If you are concerned about flood waters in roads or laneways, please contact us.
For the latest on the severe weather warning, please visit the SES website.