Noise complaints

We understand the current environment for people living in Melbourne can be stressful and can lead to people feeling overwhelmed or experiencing anxiety. When people are also experiencing the impact from usual day to day noise when they are at home, either working or doing other things, this can heighten these stresses. 

We encourage everyone to take care of their wellbeing at this time, you will find all the resources to assist and support you here 

Entertainment venues

Yarra has a vibrant night scene. However, there must be a balance between residents getting a good night’s sleep and venues running successful businesses.

If you are affected by noise from a venue, we suggest approaching the operator or manager of the venue to let them know that noise from their business is affecting you. All premises licensed to serve alcohol are obliged to respond quickly and positively to resolve complaints. 

If you cannot resolve the issue with the operator or manager, you can contact Victoria Police. They have power to instruct a venue to cease or decrease noise between midnight and 8am.

Under the Planning and Environment Act 1987, City of Yarra planning enforcement officers can investigate to see if the venue is breaching their planning permit or planning scheme.

Report noise from an entertainment venue

Commercial building sites

The construction industry continues to be a permitted industry under the COVID Pandemic Stage 4 restrictions and significant construction is continuing to occur in Yarra during this period.  As a result it is unavoidable that construction will continue to substantially impact on people living and working in Yarra especially those living or working in close proximity to a construction site due to noise dust and from time to time, vibration.

Despite more people being impacted all building works are still required to:

  • Work within permitted working hours:
    • 7am to 6pm Monday to Friday
    • 9am to 3pm on Saturday  (unless otherwise approved)
  • Undertake building works in a manner that does not cause a nuisance
  • Work within approved Construction Management Plan guidelines, which may include a noise and vibration plan.

Please note that Council may receive applications to work outside the permitted hours and each request is assessed on a case by case basis.

General noise associated with building sites including, drilling, sawing and hammering (including jack hammering) conducted during the allowed hours is not restricted, so Council will not be able to address any issues raised about these types of noise sources.

To settle the issue of noisy construction works, approach the builder to work with them to achieve an agreeable outcome.  If this doesn’t resolve the issue, you can report the issue to us using the form below.

 If the issue is happening outside above guidelines and you require immediate assistance, please call us on 9205 5555.

 For all other matters please report below.

Report noise from construction 

Residential noise

Domestic noise

Noise can come from residential activities such as parties, renovations and home occupations.

The best way to deal with a noisy neighbour is to approach and talk to them directly or by dropping off a letter in their mailbox if safe to do so.

If your noise issue is occurring late at night/early morning (outside of the permitted EPA times) requires immediate attention, the police have immediate powers to address this.

Under the Environmental Protection Act, it’s an offence to cause unreasonable noise from residential premises. Unreasonable noise is determined by its:

  • volume and intensity
  • what the noise sounds like
  • time and place
  • circumstances
  • how long the noise continues
  • how often the noise occurs or whether the noise is unreasonable under the regulations

If the issue has occurred more than one occasion and needs to be investigated, you can report this to us using the form below, please provide as much information as possible. It's important to note that we may require further information to establish whether the noise is deemed as 'unreasonable' under the Environmental Protection Regulations/Act.

Make a domestic noise complaint 

Fixed plant equipment

Noise can also come from domestic machines fixed to a property – such as air conditioners, ducting heating systems or hot water units. 

You can lodge a complaint with about this type of noise by using the form below. We may ask you to keep a diary of when the noise occurs. We may also take measurements of the noise levels to present to a magistrate if the problem is dealt with in court.

Make a fixed plant equipment noise complaint 

Waste collection

If you are regularly woken at night by waste collection activities, you can report this to us to investigate using the form below. 

Make a waste collection noise complaint