News & Media Releases

Trains not Tollroads Launch – 13 June

16 May 2013

TNT launchYarra Mayor, Jackie Fristacky, has appealed to all Melburnians to rally against the east west toll road at a major public meeting on Thursday 13 June at Fitzroy Town Hall (201 Napier Street) from 6.30pm to 8.30pm. 

The meeting will mark the official public launch of the “Trains not Tollroads” campaign opposing the State Government spending $8 to $15 billion on an east west road link, effectively depriving all Victorians of vital funds for public transport improvements.

“It is poor policy to build a road tunnel that will only add to congestion for people trying to access inner Melbourne and will ultimately cause major social, health and environmental damage,” Yarra Mayor Jackie Fristacky said.

“I urge all Melburnians to join me at this public meeting to call for more investment in public transport.

“We want funding for the Doncaster and Rowville rail projects and Metro Rail - which must happen before the airport rail link can be constructed – not more concrete, congestion, pollution, lost homes and lost open space.”

Guest speaker at the “Trains not Tollroads” launch will be Alannah MacTiernan, former Minister for Planning and Infrastructure (2001-2008) in the Western Australia State Government and now Mayor of the City Of Vincent.

As Minister, Alannah oversaw many major road, rail and port projects including championing the 70-kilometre Mandurah Rail Line with its 11 stations and two tunnels, which at $1.5 billion, cost far less to build per kilometre than the public has been told it will cost to build smaller lines in metropolitan Melbourne.

Cr Fristacky said the public meeting would be supported by community organisations including the Public Transport Users Association (PTUA), Yarra Campaign for Action on Transport (YCAT), Yarra Climate Action Now (YCAN), Protectors of Public Lands Victoria, residents groups and others.

“This is the community’s chance to show the State Government just how wrong they have got it – the safe, sustainable and sensible solution to traffic congestion is public transport not another inner city road,” she said.

“The reality is that about 20% of the 135,000 vehicles using the Eastern Freeway will travel west via a tolled tunnel. The rest, 80%, will still exit to inner Melbourne areas for access to jobs and services. Congestion at Hoddle Street and Chandler Highway exits will be even worse through induced traffic and as people try to avoid the tolled tunnel.”

Cr Fristacky repeated her call for the State Government to release its business case for the east west road project.

She said the project sought to misappropriate the Doncaster rail reservation to widen the Eastern Freeway, undermining the commitment for construction of an eastern rail line to serve the Doncaster corridor.    

“A Doncaster rail would get 800 cars per train off the freeway – yet here we have a government that wants to attract more cars onto the freeway rather than people onto public transport.”

The Trains not Tollroads Public Launch is from 6.30pm to 8.30pm on Thursday 13 June at Fitzroy Town Hall, 201 Napier Street Fitzroy. TO RSVP attendance telephone 9205 5025 or email trains-not-tollroads@yarracity.vic.gov.au

For details on how to use public transport get to Fitzroy Town Hall, visit http://www.metrotrains.com.au/plan

If you are driving visit www.google.vic.gov.au/maps for directions.


For further information about the Trains not Tollroads launch on 13 June email trains-not-tollroads@yarracity.vic.gov.au or call Joanne Mulcahy on 9205 5142.


 

 


Back to News Listing Back to top
Back to top Back to top