Yarra City Council has prepared Planning Scheme Amendment C220 which affects land in and around Johnston Street (Collingwood and Abbotsford), including Sackville Street in Collingwood.
The amendment introduces planning controls to implement the Johnston Street Local Area Plan (which was adopted by Council in 2015). The plan aims to manage built form outcomes such as building heights and setbacks, as well as preserving the valued heritage character of the streetscape.
What does Amendment C220 propose to do?
Amendment C220 proposes to apply planning controls to the Johnston Street activity centre in the form of a Design and Development Overlay (DDO15) which contains design guidelines and building height and setback controls for new development proposals.
The amendment also proposes the following key changes:
- Rezoning the sections of Johnston Street (identified as Precincts 1 and 2 within the Johnston Street Local Area Plan) currently zoned as Commercial 2 Zone to the Commercial 1 Zone, which allows for mixed use development opportunities, including retail, commercial and residential opportunities that will add life to Johnston Street.
- Rezoning a small section of the eastern part of Johnston Street from General Residential Zone to Commercial 1 Zone.
- Applying a new Heritage Overlay (HO505) to the section of Johnston Street in between Hoddle Street and the railway line at Victoria Park Station, to provide increased heritage protection for the streetscape and its buildings.
- Applying the Environmental Audit Overlay to properties being rezoned from the Commercial 2 Zone to the Commercial 1 Zone, which allows sensitive residential activity to occur.
These are the main changes being proposed and a comprehensive list of the changes can be found within the Explanatory Report.
Amendment C220 Exhibition Documents:
- C220 Notice of Amendment
- C220 Explanatory Report
- C220 Instruction Sheet (outlines the changes to the Yarra Planning Scheme)
- Clause 21.11 – Reference Documents
- Clause 21.12 – MSS Policy
- Clause 22.02 – Heritage Policy
- Clause 43.01s – Schedule to Heritage Overlay
- Clause 43.02s – Schedule 15 to Design and Development Overlay
- Clause 81.01s – Incorporated Documents
- C220 Incorporated Document – Appendix 8
- Johnston Street East Heritage Study
The amendment maps below identify the areas being affected by the proposed changes to the Yarra Planning Scheme:
- Yarra Zone map 6
- Yarra Zone map 6_7
- Heritage Overlay map 6
- Deleted Heritage Overlays map 6
- Yarra DDO map 6
- Yarra DDO map 6_7
- Environmental Audit Overlay map 6
- Environmental Audit Overlay map 6_7
Johnston Street Local Area Plan
Amendment C220 is strategically supported by the Johnston Street Local Area Plan, which was adopted by Council in December 2015. The plan – developed in consultation with the community – sets out a vision for the future of the precinct, covering the area around Johnston Street from the Yarra River to the east, through to Smith Street in the west.
The plan recommends creating a diverse mix of activity, with commercial uses generally at street level, and residential uses at upper levels to make the area more vibrant and accessible.
The plan and relevant supporting documents are found via the links below:
- The Johnston Street Local Area Plan (adopted by Council in 2015)
- Johnston Street Local Area Plan Appendix B – Built Form Analysis and Recommendations (September 2015)
- Amendment C220 Supporting Document (Building height Analysis)
How to make a submission
Submissions must be made in writing and are due by 5pm on Monday 18 December 2017.
(Subject line: Johnston Street Amendment C220)
Post PO Box 168, Richmond VIC 3121(Attention to Evan Burman, Strategic Planning)
When you make a submission, please provide us with your name and contact details to ensure that you continue to be part of the process.
You will be contacted when Council is ready to consider the proposed amendment and given the opportunity to speak in support of your submission (or to have someone speak on your behalf).
Make an appointment for a half hour session with Council staff who can explain the proposed amendment in more detail.
Sessions will take place at Collingwood Town Hall on:
- Wednesday 29 November from 4.30pm-8pm.
- Thursday 30 November from 4.30pm-8pm.
You may like to come for a one-on-one discussion, or as a group to discuss the proposed amendment with Council officers – please advise us when you make an appointment.
These half hour sessions are by appointment to enable a good conversation with Council’s urban planners who have expert knowledge of the area.
To reserve your place at one of the half hour sessions, contact Evan Burman, Strategic Planner, on 9205 5555 or firstname.lastname@example.org (subject line: Johnston Street Amendment C220).
Following the current consultation period, Council will consider community submissions at a Council Meeting in early 2018. We anticipate that we will receive a number of submissions, so it is likely that we will need to seek the appointment of an independent Planning Panel to assess them.
If a Planning Panel is appointed, submitters would have the opportunity to make further submissions before the panel issues its recommendations to Council.