Yarra City Council has prepared Planning Scheme Amendment C220 which affects land in and around Johnston Street (Collingwood and Abbotsford), including Sackville Street in Collingwood.
The amendment introduces planning controls to implement the Johnston Street Local Area Plan (which was adopted by Council in 2015). The plan aims to manage built form outcomes such as building heights and setbacks, as well as preserving the valued heritage character of the streetscape.
Johnston Street Local Area Plan
Amendment C220 is strategically supported by the Johnston Street Local Area Plan, which was adopted by Council in December 2015. The plan – developed in consultation with the community – sets out a vision for the future of the precinct, covering the area around Johnston Street from the Yarra River to the east, through to Smith Street in the west.
The plan recommends creating a diverse mix of activity, with commercial uses generally at street level, and residential uses at upper levels to make the area more vibrant and accessible.
The plan and relevant supporting documents are found via the links below:
- The Johnston Street Local Area Plan (adopted by Council in 2015)
- Johnston Street Local Area Plan Appendix B – Built Form Analysis and Recommendations (September 2015)
- Amendment C220 Supporting Document (Building height Analysis)
What does Amendment C220 propose to do?
Amendment C220 proposes to apply planning controls to the Johnston Street activity centre in the form of a Design and Development Overlay (DDO15) which contains design guidelines and building height and setback controls for new development proposals.
The amendment also proposes the following key changes:
- Rezoning the sections of Johnston Street (identified as Precincts 1 and 2 within the Johnston Street Local Area Plan) currently zoned as Commercial 2 Zone to the Commercial 1 Zone, which allows for mixed use development opportunities, including retail, commercial and residential opportunities that will add life to Johnston Street.
- Rezoning a small section of the eastern part of Johnston Street from General Residential Zone to Commercial 1 Zone.
- Rezone a small section on the North Western corner of Hoddle and Johnston Streetland owned by VicRoads and CitiPower to the Road Zone 1 and Public Use Zone 1 (PUZ1) respectively.
- Applying a new Heritage Overlay (HO505) to the section of Johnston Street in between Hoddle Street and the railway line at Victoria Park Station, to provide increased heritage protection for the streetscape and its buildings.
- Applying the Environmental Audit Overlay to properties being rezoned from the Commercial 2 Zone to the Commercial 1 Zone, which allows sensitive residential activity to occur.
These are the main changes being proposed and a comprehensive list of the changes can be found within the Explanatory Report.
What stage is the amendment at?
Council has received notice that Amendment C220 has been approved by the Minister for Planning with changes.
Notice of approval was published in the Victorian Government Gazette on Thursday 18 June 2020, and the proposed changes to the planning scheme are now in affect.
The approved amendment documents can be found on the Department of Environment, Land, Water and Planning's website: https://www.planning.vic.gov.au/schemes-and-amendments/browse-amendments?query=C220yara&search_mode=id
Council adopted Amendment C220 with some changes at its Council Meeting on 14 May 2019.
The Council Agenda and Attachments can be found here: https://www.yarracity.vic.gov.au/events/2019/05/14/council-meeting-14-may-2019
The amendment maps below identify the areas being affected by the proposed changes to the Yarra Planning Scheme:
- Yarra Zone map 6
- Yarra Zone map 6_7
- Heritage Overlay map 6
- Deleted Heritage Overlays map 6
- Yarra DDO map 6
- Yarra DDO map 6_7
- Environmental Audit Overlay map 6
- Environmental Audit Overlay map 6_7
On 21 August 2018, Council resolved to refer Amendment C220 to an independent planning panel.
The directions hearing was held on 18 September 2018 at the Richmond Town Hall.
The panel hearing was held over nine days between Tuesday 16 October 2018 and Friday 26 October 2018 at the Fitzroy Town Hall and Planning Panels Victoria offices.
Council received the panel report in February 2019. The panel report has been released and is available below.
Can I see the panel report?
You can read the report here.
Council’s Part-A Submission and expert evidence
Other expert evidence
Amendment C220 Exhibition Documents:
- C220 Notice of Amendment
- C220 Explanatory Report
- C220 Instruction Sheet (outlines the changes to the Yarra Planning Scheme)
- Clause 21.11 – Reference Documents
- Clause 21.12 – MSS Policy
- Clause 22.02 – Heritage Policy
- Clause 43.01s – Schedule to Heritage Overlay
- Clause 43.02s – Schedule 15 to Design and Development Overlay
- Clause 81.01s – Incorporated Documents
- C220 Incorporated Document – Appendix 8
- Johnston Street East Heritage Study