We have asked the Minister for Planning to prepare, adopt and approve amendments to the Yarra Planning Scheme to introduce new planning controls for the following places for a period of 2 years:
- Bridge Road Activity Centre
- Victoria Street Activity Centre
- Collingwood South – a precinct east of Smith Street and west of Wellington Street
What do the amendment requests do?
If supported, the amendment requests will help us manage the scale and form of the new buildings that are constructed by introducing Design and Development Overlays (DDOs) into the Yarra Planning Scheme for these places.
We have requested that the DDOs include requirements that help ensure that the height and the setbacks of new buildings responds to the heritage qualities of these areas and minimises the impact on adjoining residential properties. We have also asked for requirements that promote high quality design, maintain views to landmarks, maintain reasonable solar access to footpaths and public spaces; and limit impacts of vehicular movements on trams, cyclists and pedestrians.
The amendment requests also request the introduction of a Heritage Overlay to the following properties:
- 18-22 Derby Street, Collingwood
- 33-45 Derby Street, Collingwood
- 32-34 Thomas Street, Richmond
- 202-206 Church Street, Richmond
Why have you asked the Minister for Planning to prepare the amendments?
We have asked the Minister for Planning to prepare the amendments so the DDOs can be introduced on an interim basis as soon as possible. The introduction of DDOs on a permanent basis can take a long time. Introduction of permanent controls require the public exhibition of a planning scheme amendment and often consideration by an independent planning panel appointed by the Minister for Planning.
What happens next?
The Minister for Planning will consider the requests. If the request is supported the amendments will be gazetted and DDOs will be introduced into the Yarra Planning Scheme for a period of 2 years. Only when the amendments are gazetted will the DDOs be considered in determining planning permit applications.
In the coming months and into 2019, we will prepare structure plans (or similar strategies) that will inform the preparation of planning scheme amendments to introduce permanent DDOs. These amendments will be subject to a formal public exhibition process and potentially consideration by an independent planning panel appointed by the Minister for Planning.
How can I find out further information?
The following documents have informed the request to the Minister for Planning:
Bridge Road and Victoria Street Activity Centres:
- Draft Design and Development Overlay Schedule 21 – Bridge Road Activity Centre
- Draft Design and Development Overlay Schedule 22 – Victoria Street Activity Centre
- Victoria Street and Bridge Road Activity Centres Built Form Framework
- Bridge Road and Victoria Street Activity Centres Built Form Review – Heritage Analysis and Recommendations
- Bridge Road and Victoria Street Activity Centres Traffic Engineering Assessment
Collingwood South Precinct:
- Draft Design and Development Overlay Schedule 23 – Collingwood South
- Collingwood South Built Form Framework
- Collingwood South Built Form Review – Heritage Analysis and Recommendations
For assistance and more information about the amendment, please contact Yarra City Council on 9205 5555 or firstname.lastname@example.org.