Decision on C270yara
On 20 August 2021, under delegation from the Minister for Planning the Department for Environment, Land, Water and Planning (DELWP) decided to approve Amendment C270yara with changes. The Amendment will be gazetted in a Government Gazette and come into effect on 27 August 2021.
Out of the 9 interim Design and Development Overlays (DDOs) that were requested by Council, the following interim DDOs were approved:
- DDO30 Smith Street Shops
- DDO35 Johnston Street South
- DDO36 Fitzroy East and Johnston Street North
- DDO37 Smith Street North and South
You can find all approved amendment documentation on DELWP's website.
According to the approval, “It has been demonstrated these areas are experiencing development pressure, warranting introduction of interim controls.” A decision on the other requested interim DDOs was not made.
Key changes that were made to the requested interim DDOs are:
- The approved interim DDOs include no mandatory controls – all built form requirements (this change is most relevant to interim DDO30, 35 and heritage properties in interim DDOs 36 and 36) and overshadowing requirements (this change is relevant to all interim DDOs) are preferred;
- Additional conditions to assess proposals that intend to exceed preferred heights were not included; and
- Interim DDO30 is no longer applicable to Victoria Street, west of Brunswick St.
What stage is this amendment at and what are the next steps?
About the amendment
On the 17 December 2019, Council resolved to request that Minister for Planning consider the approval of proposed interim built form controls (interim Design and Development Overlays/DDOs) for activity centres in Fitzroy & parts of Collingwood. The documentation was sent to the Minister in January 2020.
If approved, the proposed interim DDOs would be temporary only and be included in the Yarra Planning Scheme for approximately 2 years.
A decision has not been made yet. We will provide information as soon as a decision is public.
The proposed interim DDOs cover:
- Brunswick Street
- Smith Sreet
- Gertrude Street
- Johnston Street (between Smith and Nicholson)
- Fitzroy East MUZ area, north of Johnston Street
- Small MUZ pockets behind Brunswick and Smith Street
See the Overview map of proposed interim DDOs For details on each proposed interim DDO, see below.
Are we seeking permanent controls?
Council will undertake public consultation to inform the future built form changes of these centres. This is likely to occur around mid to late 2021. This will inform future permanent design and development overlays that would be recommended to Council, likely in late 2021 or early 2022.
For more information read the relevant documents here:
Design and Development Overlays
- DDO29 - Brunswick Street Shops
- DDO30 - Smith Street Shops
- DDO31 - Gertrude Street Shops
- DDO32 - Johnston Street West
- DDO33 - Brunswick Street Grand Residential
- DDO34 - Fitzroy Town Hall and Back Blocks
- DDO35 - Johnston Street South and Victoria Street
- DDO36 - Fitzroy East and Johnston Street North
- DDO37 - Smith Street North and South
Built Form Frameworks
- Brunswick Street Built Form Framework
- Smith Street Built Form Framework
- Johnston Street Built Form Framework
- Fitzroy East Built Form Framework
- Gertrude Street Built Form Framework