About the amendment
On the 17 December 2019, Council requested the Minister for Planning to consider the approval of proposed interim built form controls (interim Design and Development Overlays/DDOs) for activity centres in Fitzroy & parts of Collingwood.
If approved, the proposed interim DDOs would be temporary only and be included in the Yarra Planning Scheme for approximately 2 years.
A decision has not been made yet. We will provide information as soon as a decision is public.
The proposed interim DDOs cover:
- Brunswick Street
- Smith Sreet
- Gertrude Street
- Johnston Street (between Smith and Nicholson)
- Fitzroy East MUZ area, north of Johnston Street
- Small MUZ pockets behind Brunswick and Smith Street
See the Overview map of proposed interim DDOs For details on each proposed interim DDO, see below.
Are we seeking permanent controls?
We will be seeking permanent controls once the current gap of built form guidance for the remaining activity centres and major corridors has been addressed (likely by August 2020) and some background work on comprehensive, area-based planning to inform future consultation has been completed.
Once these projects are completed, Council will undertake public consultation and prepare area-based plans to inform the future direction of these centres. This is likely to occur around the later half of 2021.
These will help to inform the preparation of full planning scheme amendments for built form controls. Permanent controls for the precincts will go on public exhibition as part of the planning amendment process.
For more information read the relevant documents here:
Design and Development Overlays
- DDO29 - Brunswick Street Shops
- DDO30 - Smith Street Shops
- DDO31 - Gertrude Street Shops
- DDO32 - Johnston Street West
- DDO33 - Brunswick Street Grand Residential
- DDO34 - Fitzroy Town Hall and Back Blocks
- DDO35 - Johnston Street South and Victoria Street
- DDO36 - Fitzroy East and Johnston Street North
- DDO37 - Smith Street North and South
Built Form Frameworks
- Brunswick Street Built Form Framework
- Smith Street Built Form Framework
- Johnston Street Built Form Framework
- Fitzroy East Built Form Framework
- Gertrude Street Built Form Framework
Heritage Built Form Reviews