Yarra City Council is proposing to correct heritage overlay, zone anomalies and errors in the Yarra Planning Scheme. These changes will be introduced through an amendment to the Yarra Planning Scheme, known as Amendment C245.
Why have we prepared this amendment?
This Amendment is derived from a number of different projects. Recent heritage studies have been conducted in Collingwood, Richmond, Fitzroy North and Clifton Hill to inform planning controls. These studies identified a number of gaps in the heritage controls for a number of individually significant buildings. Yarra City Council also maintains a list of errors and anomalies that can be found in the heritage overlay of properties located in Yarra. This Amendment applies recommendations from recent heritage studies and corrects Heritage Overlay and zone anomalies in the Yarra Planning Scheme.
What does the Amendment propose to do?
You can use the interactive map below to view the changes proposed in Amendment C245. For a larger version of the map or to search for your property view this map in a new window.
For more information, you can read a summary of key terms.
You can read the explanatory report for more details. A summary of places affected lists the properties involved. The Heritage Studies: Theatres, Bridge Road, Victoria Street and corrections to heritage and zone anomalies is a report prepared by us assessing the proposed changes.
What stage is the amendment at?
Council is now at the planning panel hearing stage.
The Amendment was exhibited from Thursday 18 July 2019 to Monday 19 August 2019. During this time, Council received 9 submissions from the community.
On Tuesday 26 November 2019 Council considered submissions and resolved to refer the amendment and all submissions to an independent planning panel.
A Planning Panel has been appointed.
Submitters have the opportunity to make further submissions before the panel issues its recommendations.
The Panel will:
- hear submitters in an independent forum;
- be informal and not like a court; and
- give fair, unbiased advice to Council and the Minister for Planning about the Amendment.
The Panel process includes a Directions Hearing and the Hearing.
At the Directions Hearing, the Panel will:
- give directions about exchanging information before the hearing and the conduct of the Hearing;
- consider Hearing times and venue and site inspections; and
- answer questions people have about the Panel process including the Hearing.
The Directions Hearing will be held:
10am, Wednesday 12 February 2020 Hearing Room 1 Planning Panels Victoria 1 Spring Street, Melbourne VIC
You should attend the Directions Hearing if you:
- are new to the Panel process or wish to participate in the Hearing; and/or
- have questions about the Panel process or wish to raise procedural issues.
The Hearing is for people to speak to their written submissions and to hear from the Planning Authority.
The Hearing is expected to commence on Wednesday 11 March 2020 and should run for 1-2 days. The Hearing is open for anyone to attend.
The Panel will consider all referred written submissions when preparing its report, including those from submitters who do not attend the Hearing.
- Council minutes (18 September 2018)
- Council report (18 September 2018)
- Council minutes (13 November 2018)
- Council report (13 November 2018)
- Council minutes (26 November 2019)
- Council report (26 November 2019)
- Notice of Amendment
- Explanatory Report
- Instruction Sheet
- Fact Sheet
- Clause 21.11 – Reference Documents
- Clause 22.02 – Development Guidelines to Sites Subject to the Heritage Overlay
- Schedule to Clause 43.01 – Heritage Overlay
- Schedule to Clause 72.04 – Documents Incorporated in this Planning Scheme
- Amendment Mapping Changes (Zip – 24 maps)
- City of Yarra Database of Heritage Significant Areas, July 2019
- A Summary of Places
- Heritage Studies: Theatres, Bridge Road, Victoria Street and corrections to heritage and zone anomalies
- Thematic Study of Theatres in the City of Yarra, Context Pty Ltd (2017)
- Victoria Street and Bridge Road Built Form Review: Heritage Assessment, GJM Heritage (2018)
- Collingwood Built Form Review Heritage Report, GJM Heritage (2018)
- Heritage Citation: 18-22 Derby Street, Collingwood, Anthemion Consultancies (2018)
- Heritage Citation: 33-45 Derby Street, Collingwood, GJM Heritage (2018)
- Heritage Citation: Queens Parade, Fitzroy North Street Trees, John Patrick Landscape Architects Pty. Ltd (2018)
- Yarra High Streets: Statements of Significance (October 2017, updated October 2019)
- Amendment C245 heritage advice – St. Brigid’s Catholic Church Complex, David Helms Heritage Planning (October 2019)
- Amendment C245 heritage advice – 14 Glasgow Street, Collingwood, David Helms Heritage Planning (October 2019)