How do heritage studies impact Yarra?
These heritage studies form the basis for introducing heritage protection through the heritage overlay in the Yarra Planning Scheme.
They are reference documents in the Yarra Planning Scheme and contain the statement of significance for each heritage place. The statement of significance identifies what is important.
Some of the studies were prepared by the former cities of Richmond, Collingwood, Fitzroy, Melbourne and Northcote.
When the council amalgamations occurred in the 1990s, the newly formed City of Yarra undertook Amendment L78 to provide a consistent approach to heritage across the municipality. It reviewed the heritage studies undertaken previously and updated the heritage overlay accordingly.
Heritage studies timeline
Since then, there have been a number of heritage gaps studies done to identify more areas of Yarra worthy of heritage protection. Download the heritage studies timeline as a pdf. You can find copies of all the studies at the bottom of this page below the diagram.
These studies have formed the basis of planning scheme amendments which have extended the heritage overlay.
- Heritage Citation: 112-124 Trenerry Crescent, Abbotsford, GJM Heritage 2016
- Heritage Citation: 20-60 Trenerry Crescent, Abbotsford, GJM Heritage 2016
- Heritage Gap Study: Review of Johnston Street East, Context 2016
- Heritage Gaps Central Richmond Context 2014
- Review of 17 Heritage Precincts Context 2014
- Smith Street South Anthemion 2014
- Abbotsford Collingwood Context 2015
- 233-251 Victoria Street Anthemion 2012
- City of Yarra Heritage Gaps Butler Review 1 2012
- City of Yarra Heritage Gaps Lovell Chen Review 2 2012
- Incorporated Plan Methodology Report Lovell Chen 2012
- City of Yarra Heritage Gaps Butler Stage 2 2009
- City of Yarra Heritage Gaps Butler Stage 1 2008
- City of Yarra Heritage Review 2007
- City of Yarra Heritage Review 2007 Appendix 7
- City of Yarra Heritage Gaps Butler 2004
- City of Yarra Heritage Review 1998 Vol. 1
- City of Yarra Heritage Review 1998 Vol.2 Part 1
- City of Yarra Heritage Review 1998 Vol.2 Part 2
- City of Yarra Heritage Review 1998 Vol 3
- City of Yarra Heritage Review 1998 Vol 4
- Collingwood Conservation Study Part A 1995
- Collingwood Conservation Study Part B 1995
- Collingwood Conservation Study Part C 1995
- Fitzroy Urban Conservation Study Review 1992
- Collingwood Conservation Study, 1989
- Richmond Conservation Study 1985
- Carlton North, Carlton and Princes Hill Conservation Study 1984
- Northcote Urban Conservation Study 1982
- South Fitzroy Conservation Study 1979
- North Fitzroy Conservation Study 1978
These studies have not formed the basis of planning scheme amendments but relate to heritage sites in Yarra