Financial assistance is available from the Australian and Victorian governments, Yarra City Council and other organisations during the COVID-19 pandemic to individuals, families and other households.
Australian Government support
- Income support for individuals and families – including me support payments, payments to support households and temporary early releases of superannuation.
- JobSeeker payment – available for persons aged 22 to retirement age who are unemployed or temporarily unable to work, and not in receipt of JobKeeper payment from an employer. Residence conditions and a means test apply.
- Special Support payments to Centrelink beneficiaries – two $750 Economic Support Payments will be provided to people receiving Centrelink payments, JobSeeker and Youth Allowance, in mid-to late March, and mid-July.
- JobKeeper payment – to support businesses affected by COVID-19 by helping with the costs of their employees’ wages. Your employer may be eligible for the JobKeeper fortnightly payment of $1,500 on your behalf.
- Families – if you receive family payments or parenting support, you may be able to receive additional support with the Economic Support Payment or the Coronavirus supplement.
Child care fees
You won’t need to pay child care fees when you access child care between 6 April and 28 June 2020. Find out more on the Services Australia website.
The City of Yarra offers free and confidential financial counselling, providing information and support for anyone experiencing financial difficulties.
Help paying for electricity, gas or water
The Victorian Government Utility Relief Grant Scheme provides eligible Victorians with Pensioner, Health Care or Veterans Gold cards, who are facing financial hardship.
The Victorian Government has announced a $45 million international student emergency relief fund for international students facing financial hardship as a result of coronavirus.
International students can also find information useful information here: COVID-19 International Student Support and Welfare.
Many universities and other education providers are offering a range of support to students including fee deferrals, deferred studies or payments, food and accommodation support and mental health and other medical support.
All international students are encouraged to stay in touch with their education providers about the range of support which is available to them at this time.
Yarra's Coronavirus (COVID-19) information hub
Please visit our Coronavirus (COVID-19) information hub to find out more about how Yarra is supporting residents and businesses during this time.