Students across the City of Yarra are coming together to talk about the climate emergency and take action.
Our students recognise the urgency and scale of the climate crisis and want to be part of growing climate action across our city. They are keen to encourage other students to step up and take climate action now.
Students at Melbourne Girls' College in Richmond show us the power of humans and renewable energy at their annual Pedal Power Cinema Night and Sustainability Fair.
Webinars supporting young people to take climate action:
Psychologist and Adjunct Associate Professor Dr Susie Burke discusses how parents and carers can help young people cope with climate change. We also hear from local high school students about what gives them hope and leads them to take climate action.
Psychologist and Adjunct Associate Professor Dr Susie Burke, along with local early years educator Jenna Naim and parents, discuss ways in which to talk to young children about climate change. They also explore how to build these conversations, and a connection to the earth, into everyday life.
Climate action and sustainability resources for schools and young people
- ABC’s Fight for Planet A: Popular series explores how we can all reduce our individual and collective carbon emissions. This three-part documentary aims to empower and motivate Australians to take action on climate change.
- ABC’s Big Weather (and how to survive it): With unique access to Australia's emergency services, first responders and local communities, Big Weather (and how to survive it) is an emotionally gripping series filmed over one intense summer of bushfires and flood amplified by climate change.
- CERES Environment Park: Sustainability resources, incursions, excursions and professional learning for educators.
- Collingwood Children’s Farm: Farm tours, hands-on workshops and self-guided experiences, aligned to the Victorian Curriculum.
- Merri Creek Management Committee: Provides schools with engaging and diverse environmental education opportunities to learn about the native flora and fauna of the Merri Creek catchment in the northern suburbs of Melbourne and beyond.
- Port Phillip EcoCentre: Incursions, excursions and professional learning for educators.
- Students Strike for Climate Australia: The Australian part of a worldwide network of students which organises student strikes for climate action.
- Student Voice Network: The Student Voice Network (SVN) is a free, virtual platform that supports young people to lead, participate in and amplify projects that take action on social justice and environmental issues
- Sustainability Victoria: ResourceSmart Schools: Free initiative offered by Sustainability Victoria to support schools to embed sustainability across the school facilities, community and curriculum.