For Yarra residents we provide a free collection service of garden waste such as branches, prunings and grass clippings.
Green waste is not collected as part of the weekly rubbish and recycling collection. You can request as many green waste pickups as you need throughout the year.
We will collect your green waste within approximately 10 days of you sending through your request.
How do I book a green waste collection?
Step 1: You can book a green waste collection:
- by calling us on 9205 5555
- by sending us an email: email@example.com
- by posting a letter to: Yarra City Council, PO Box 168, Richmond 3121.
Step 2: We will:
- Let you know the pick up date.
- Ask questions about the contents and volume of your green waste.
- Identify where the items will need to be placed for collection.
Size of green waste
Each collection can be up to a standard trailer load (or one cubic meter).
Preparing for a green waste collection
All branches must be tied together with string or twine only, in bundles no longer than 1.8m (6ft) in length and 30cm (1 foot) in diameter. Do not tie branches with plastic or wire.
Lawn clippings or small prunings must be placed in a rigid container (a plastic crate or cardboard box) which can be lifted easily by one person. The container will usually be returned to you after it is emptied.
Please note: bags of any kind are not permitted. Even if these bags are advertised as heavy duty for garden waste, they will not be accepted.
You also have the option to use a green waste bin, purchased from us or elsewhere. If you would like a use a green waste bin that you haven't purchase from us, you need to ensure the bin meets Australian specifications.
Place your green waste out the night before pickup has been arranged. Remember it is illegal to place items out more than 24 hours before pickup.
Please do not include:
- Blackberry branches
- Noxious weeds
- Piles of wood
- Palm fronds
- Food scraps
- Large tree stumps
Can I purchase a green waste bin?
Yes, we have garden waste bins available for you to purchase.
How do I purchase a green waste bin?
You can purchase a green waste bin through one of the following ways:
- order a green waste bin online.
- download and post a completed green waste bin application form to: Yarra City Council, PO Box 168, Richmond 3121.
Once you have bought a green waste bin, it is your private property.
We do not provide any maintenance on green waste bins and cannot replace the bin if stolen or damaged.
How often do you deliver green waste bins?
We deliver green waste bins once a month.
Applications are processed on the last Friday of the calendar month and you can expect delivery by the following Friday.
This means the delivery turnaround will be between one and five weeks, depending on when you logged the application. For example:
- if you log your application a few days before we process the month’s deliveries, you can expect your bin within one week
- if you log your application a few days after we process the month’s deliveries, you can expect your bin within five weeks.
Christmas tree collection
We offer a free Christmas tree collection service to Yarra residents during January each year. Collected trees will be mulched, with the mulch to be distributed around Yarra’s parks.
Make your booking by using the steps above before 31 January.