Most planning permits expire 2 years from the date of issue unless otherwise specified on the permit.
You can request to extend the life of your permit. A request must be made within 6 months of the commencement date and 12 months of the completion date.
How do I apply for extension of time?
To apply you need to follow these steps:
Step 1: Write a cover letter
Provide detail whether application is for extension to:
- commencement date or
- completion date (photos and other documents required to demonstrate when works commenced and extent of works)
Reasons for why works were not commenced/ completed in time, as well as:
- any previous extensions to the permit;
- any activity undertaken, or costs incurred to proceed with the permit; and
- whether there is any change to the surrounding area which would alter the consideration of the proposal.
Step 2: Pay the fee - $420
Step 3: Submit the extension of time request
Submit the extension of time request with your cover letter, a copy of your planning permit application and address of property. You can only do this after you have paid.
You can submit your extension of time request in 3 ways:
- email: email@example.com
- mail: Yarra City Council, PO Box 168 Richmond VIC 3121
- in person at a Yarra City Council contact centre
For more information call Yarra City Council on 9205 5555 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.