Rear 26 - 56 Queens Parade, Fitzroy North
Permit number: PLN16/0732
The responsible authority won't make a decision before:
Development of the land for the construction of 4, 3-storey townhouses with a reduction in the car parking requirements and provision of parking on another site
On 25 January 2017, Council was informed that a Section 79 ‘failure to determine’ appeal had been lodged with the Victorian Civil and Administrative Tribunal [VCAT].
On 3 February 2017, a practice day was held at VCAT to consider if this application should be heard at the same time as the Section 79 review for the main site (PLN6/0434). All parties consented and VCAT agreed to join both hearings (PLN16/0732 and PLN16/0434), with the hearing commencing on 3 April 2017 for 7 days. No compulsory conference was scheduled.
On 21 February 2017, the Applicant circulated substituted plans, deleting 1 level from the townhouses, reducing the scale from 4 to 3 storeys, with associated internal re-configurations.
On 15 March 2017 at its Internal Development Approval’s Committee [IDAC] meeting, IDAC determined that:
…if it were in a position to determine the application, Council would issue a Refusal to Grant a Permit (PLN16/0732) for the development of the land for the construction of 4, 3-storey dwellings (no permit required for dwelling use), reduction in the car parking requirements and to provide all of the car parking spaces on another site at Rear 26-52 Queens Parade, Fitzroy North on the following grounds:
1. The building height does not respect the character of the area.
2. The site coverage, permeability and setbacks do not respect the existing or preferred neighbourhood character and does not respond to the features of the site.
3. The proposal does not provide sufficient car parking.
4. The proposal does not provide for pedestrian safety.
On 28 March 2017, amendment C229 was gazetted, applying the Design and Development Overlay (Schedule 16) to the western end of Queens Parade (including the subject site). Parties called for a Practice day on 31 March 2017 and Deputy President Gibson agreed to vacate the hearing. The hearing is now scheduled from 4 September 2017 for 10 days.
On 25 July 2017, Council received formally substituted VCAT plans from the Applicant. However, that the substituted plans do not make any identifiable changes compared to the previous set of plans.
On 9 August 2017 at its Internal Development Approval’s Committee, Council considered the July 2017 substituted plans. IDAC determined:
That Council inform VCAT that had it been in a position, it would have issued a Notice of Refusal to Grant a Permit (PLN16/0732) for rear of 26-56 Queens Parade, Fitzroy North for the development of the land for the construction of 4, 3-storey dwellings (no permit required for dwelling use), reduction in the car parking requirements and to provide all of the car parking spaces on another site (being the larger Queens Parade site) based on the VCAT substituted plans (received by Council on 25 July 2017) on the following grounds:
1. The height, setback and massing of the proposal would unreasonably impact the character and amenity of the area and surrounding dwellings.
2. The site coverage and permeability do not respect the existing or preferred neighbourhood character and does not respond to the features of the site.
To view the agenda and minutes of this meeting, please click here.
To view the application for PLN16/0434, please click here.
Update - March 2018
On 26 October 2017 VCAT issued an interim order for Planning Permit applications PLN16/0434 and PLN16/0732 (VCAT reference numbers P2079/2016 and P147/2017).
The order gave the opportunity for the Permit Applicant to submit amended plans addressing a number of issues with both applications, the issues of which were outlined in the order.
The Permit Applicant was given until 28 February 2018 to circulate these plans.
A copy of the plans for both 26-56 Queens Parade and rear of 26-56 Queens Parade, Fitzroy North is provided below.
The plans make a number of changes, including:
• retention of bay 9 of the heritage façade along Queens Parade;
• towers 2 and 4 have been combined;
• towers 1 and 3 have been reduced by 1 level;
• the level 3 communal terrace has been deleted;
• direct pedestrian access has been provided from the rear lane behind Coleman St;
• retention of ground level pedestrian entrance canopy to heritage façade; and
• modified light court along the eastern boundary.
• number of townhouses reduced from 4 to 3;
• rear courtyards increased in width from 1m to 1.6m;
• modified screening treatments;
• larger windows have been added to the east facing walls at level 1 of townhouses 1 and 2; and
• entries have been widened.
The Permit Applicant has provided detailed a summary of changes.
Revised landscape plans, perspectives, internal daylight assessment, heritage statement, urban design statement and traffic statements have also been circulated by the Permit Applicant.
View the planning application documents below:
- Application Form and Public Notification Notice.pdf ( PDF 530.38 KB )
- Certificate of Title.pdf ( PDF 322.14 KB )
- Environmental Sustainable Development Report.pdf ( PDF 877.8 KB )
- Plans Part 1.pdf ( PDF 3054.36 KB )
- Plans Part 2.pdf ( PDF 3006.2 KB )
- Plans Part 3.pdf ( PDF 2776.43 KB )
- Plans Part 4.pdf ( PDF 1085.89 KB )
- Town Planning Report Part 1.pdf ( PDF 2992.39 KB )
- Town Planning Report Part 2.pdf ( PDF 1201.16 KB )
- Traffic Assessment Report Part 1.pdf ( PDF 2930.74 KB )
- Traffic Assessment Report Part 2.pdf ( PDF 3025.25 KB )
- Traffic Assessment Report Part 3.pdf ( PDF 821.98 KB )
- Waste Mangement Report.pdf ( PDF 1506.72 KB )
- Development Summary COX Architects.pdf ( PDF 7.55 KB )
- Mr Bryce Raworth Bryce Raworth.pdf ( PDF 1392.07 KB )
- Mr Daniel Flood Floodslicer.pdf ( PDF 11055 KB )
- Mr Jan Talacko Ark Resources.pdf ( PDF 5365.28 KB )
- Mr Jason Walsh Traffix Group.pdf ( PDF 3610.61 KB )
- Mr John Patrick John Patrick Landscape Architects.pdf ( PDF 7861.86 KB )
- Mr Mark Sheppard DLA.pdf ( PDF 3900.56 KB )
- Mr Peter Lovell Lovell Chen.pdf ( PDF 6994.51 KB )
- Mr Roger Poole Roger Poole Architects.pdf ( PDF 1226.42 KB )
- Mr Stuart McGurn Urbis.pdf ( PDF 1758.28 KB )
- Sustainable Management Plan WGE.pdf ( PDF 1581.12 KB )
- Mr Andrew Hutson.pdf ( PDF 8549.45 KB )
- SUBSITUTED PLANS Amended Plans.pdf ( PDF 24975.9 KB )
- SUBSITUTED PLANS Development Summary.pdf ( PDF 75.05 KB )
- SUBSITUTED PLANS Form A.pdf ( PDF 169.35 KB )
- SUBSITUTED PLANS Statement of Changes.pdf ( PDF 132.5 KB )
- SUBSITUTED PLANS Statement of Grounds.pdf ( PDF 156.67 KB )
- Amended Plans and Development Summary.pdf ( PDF 19814.76 KB )
- Notice of an Amendment of an Application Form A.pdf ( PDF 241.75 KB )
- Statement of Grounds.pdf ( PDF 183.26 KB )
For more information