Generally, you need a planning permit when you are:
- changing the use of your property (eg. shop to office, café to retail)
- making additions to residential properties
- commercial or industrial development
- applying for a liquor licence
- constructing or displaying signage
- waiver of car parking (associated with the increased floor space of commercial/industrial areas)
- demolition of a building (particularly within heritage overlay).
Two-thirds of Yarra is covered by a heritage overlay in which a planning permit is required for all works and demolition (including painting and fences).