The VCAT process

What is VCAT?

The Victorian Civil and Administration Tribunal (VCAT) is a State Government-appointed panel that independently reviews planning decisions made by councils.

Please call 1300 018 228 for further assistance.

When do I go to VCAT?

Our decision about a planning permit application does not necessarily have to be final.

If you are unhappy with a Yarra City Council decision you can review this decision with the Victorian Civil and Administration Tribunal (VCAT). Appeals to VCAT may be objections to:

  • granting of a permit
  • a refusal of a permit
  • conditions placed on a permit/or lack thereof 

What is a failure to determine?

You can also lodge an application for review to VCAT if we take more than 60 days to make a decision on your application. This is a failure to determine. You must carefully consider the likely timeframes associated with this process.

Notice of decision

If you have been issued a Notice of Decision to Grant a Permit we cannot issue a permit until we have received written notification from VCAT that no appeals have been lodged.

For more information about the VCAT process, download the Planning proceedings at VCAT factsheet