Do I qualify for a disabled parking permit?
You can get a disabled parking permit if you are a driver or a passenger with a disability and you live in Yarra. To confirm your disability, your application form must be signed by a doctor or a psychologist.
For permits for organisations, you must be an organisation who transports people with a disability and be located in Yarra.
If you are temporarily disabled we can issue you with a temporary disabled parking permit for a period of time specified by your doctor.
There are 2 categories of disabled parking permit
- Category 1 - these permits allow you to park in a disabled bay for the amount of time specified on the sign. You can also park in any ordinary parking space for twice the amount of time specified on the sign. Category 1 permits are white with blue print.
- Category 2 - these permits allow you to park in any ordinary parking space for twice the amount of time specified on the sign. You can not park in a disabled bay. Category 2 permits are white with green print.
Your doctor or psychologist will decide whether you qualify for a category 1 or 2 disabled parking permit.
How much do disabled parking permits cost?
Disabled parking permits are free.
How do I apply for a disabled parking permit?
- Fill out the Disabled Parking Permit application
- Ask your doctor or psychologist to sign the form and confirm your disability.
- Submit your application in person or by post with your proof of residency.
What documents can I use as proof of residency?
- Rates notice - must have default postal address the same as the property address.
- Lease agreement - If your name is not on the lease, then a copy of the lease and a witnessed statutory declaration from the lease holder stating you are residing at the property and the date you became a resident at the property.
- Current rent receipt - must show the person’s name.
- Letter of tenancy from landlord - must show the person’s name and be attached to the landlords rates notice.
- Contract of sale - If just purchased property and must show name of vendor and date of settlement.
- Utilities bill - water, gas, electricity must show postal address the same as the property address welcome letter from utility company. For new residents only.
- Telephone or home broadband account (land line only). Mobile phone accounts are not acceptable.
How many permits can I apply for?
You can only apply for 1 disabled parking permit per individual. Organisations may apply for more than 1 permit if required.
How do I apply for an disabled persons parking permit for an organisation?
- Fill out an application form in full
- Your organisation must be located in Yarra
- Provide a name of the responsible person for the permit
- Submit form in person or by post
How long does it take for my permit to arrive?
You will receive your permit by post. Once we have received your application, it usually takes 5 business days for it to be posted to your address.
How should I use my parking permit?
You must display the disabled parking permit on the left side of the windscreen with the expiry date and permit number visible from the outside of the vehicle.
You must be the permit holder or must be parking the vehicle for the convenience of the permit holder who needs to enter or leave the vehicle.
A disabled parking permit does not allow free parking in paid areas unless it is stated on the sign.
Where am I allowed to park?
Category 1 permit holders can park in disabled parking bays. You can also park in any ordinary parking space for twice the amount of time shown on the sign.
Category 2 permit holders can not park in disabled parking bays. You can park in any ordinary parking space for twice the amount of time shown on the sign.
Disabled parking permits are recognised throughout Victoria and in all Australian states and territories. When travelling interstate you should check the conditions on that state government's website.
Your disabled parking permit does not allow you to park in restricted locations such as:
- no stopping areas
- no parking areas
- taxi only areas
- bus zones
- residential permit zones.
Contact us on 03 9205 5555 for further information or complete a customer request form.