Got a great idea for a sustainability project? Apply for a grant.
What kind of grant is right for me?
- If you are planning a small project with a budget of up to $1,000 then a Small Project Grant is a great option. You can apply any time during the year (until the funds run out). Find out more about Yarra's Small Project Grants, including how to apply.
- If you are planning a small-medium sized project with a budget of up to $4,000 a General Sustainability Grant is the way to go. These are part of the Sustainability Stream of Yarra's Annual Grants process, which opens in June each year. Find out more about our Annual Grants process.
- If you are planning a more complex project which requires funding of up to $15,000 you can apply for a Partnering for Sustainability Grant. These grants fund projects that focus on building partnerships, reaching new audiences, innovation, and leaving a legacy. These are also part of Yarra's Annual Grants process
- If you are planning a project that requires a larger amount of funding over up to three years, you may be eligible to apply for an Investing in Community Grant. These grants are aligned with Yarra's funding priorities, strategies and plans, which include the Yarra Environment Strategy. The next round of applications open in 2020. Please call us on 9205 5555 and speak to one of our community partnerships officers about this.
What kind of projects are eligible? Who can apply?
Any type of project can be eligible, it just needs to make Yarra more sustainable.
For example, you may want to try a new approach to climate change engagement, run a series of workshops in your community, work on a local renewable energy generation project, clean up a green space, create a neighbourhood sharing project, start a bulk-buy co-op, hold a sustainability expo, start a kitchen garden at your school, create a compost system at your church or turn waste into art in your seniors' group...or something no-one has thought of yet!
Generally your project will be eligible:
- if your project has sustainability benefits in the City of Yarra and
- your group is a not-for-profit incorporated association.
To view a list of previous successful grant project, download the 2017-2018 Successful Grant Applications summary.
To find out more about eligibility - including what to do if your group is not incorporated - go to the Annual Grants page.
Looking for some ideas and inspiration for your grant application?
Download the following stories which highlight just a few of the fantastic community projects that were funded last year through the Sustainability Stream of the Annual Grants.
Got a question?
If you have a question about sustainability grants, you can ask us online.