How to apply for a planning permit

Before you begin to apply for a planning permit, first find out if you need one.

You can do this by speaking to one of our planning officers either by appointment or visit the planning desk at Richmond Town Hall.

Bring a sketch map of your proposal and address details when meeting the planner.

I need a planning permit. What do I do?

Download and complete a planning application permit form. You must complete all sections of the form as incomplete forms will not be accepted.

If you would like a hard copy of the form, please pick one up from the Richmond Town Hall or ask for one to be mailed out to you.

What information do I need to give in a planning permit application?

The information you will need to include in your application will vary depending on what you need a permit for.

Generally you must include:

  • a completed application for a planning permit form
  • current copy of your Certificate of Title (obtained within the last 3 months)
  • payment of application fee (cheque or money order only)
  • description of what the permit is for
  • estimated cost of the works
  • copies of plans and any other additional information.

How do I lodge my planning permit application?

You can lodge your planning permit application:

  • in person at Richmond Town Hall (333 Bridge Road, Richmond) between 8.30am and 5pm Monday to Friday.
  • by mail to Yarra City Council, PO Box 168, Richmond VIC 3121

How long will my permit take?

We will process planning permit applications as quickly as possible. We are mindful of the time and financial pressures that applicants are often under. We have 60 statutory days to make a decision on an application, unless the application qualifies for the VicSmart process. 

Check if you qualify for VicSmart

VicSmart is an assessment process for straightforward planning permit applications and are not subject to public notification.

The VicSmart process involves 4 simple steps:

  1. Prepare: Check the planning scheme, discuss your proposal with us, pick up checklists and any other information
  2. Submit: Submit the application to us with all the required information
  3. Assess: Our planner will assess the application against pre-set criteria
  4. Decide: Our planner approves or refuses the application within 10 business days

Planning permit fees

The lodgement fee depends on the type of proposal. Fees are set by the Victorian government and must be paid before an application can be assessed.

To find out the fee you will be charged or please call Yarra City Council on 9205 5555.

We also charge for public notification sign/s to be displayed on the relevant site as well as for letters to be sent out to the owners and occupiers of surrounding properties who may be affected by the application/amendment.

Can I submit photos instead of elevation drawings to show the existing conditions?

It is always helpful to provide photographs that provide some context to your application by showing the surrounding area, however they cannot be used as a substitute to elevations.

We require scaled drawings in order to accurately assess the impacts of your proposal.

For more information call Yarra City Council on 9205 5555 or email