Stormwater drains and legal point of discharge

Water from a roof, or hard surfaces such as driveways, roads or footpaths, flows into stormwater drains. This stormwater drains into our waterways and then, ultimately, to Port Phillip Bay.

Public stormwater drainage system in Yarra

The public stormwater drainage system in Yarra is managed in partnership by Yarra City Council and Melbourne Water.

Melbourne Water is responsible for providing and maintaining the main drains and we manage the remaining public drainage system within Yarra.

What drains am I responsible for?

Drains, pipes and hard surface run-off such as driveways must be controlled within the property boundary that is stormwater runoff must be collected within the private property and then drained to the legal point of discharge (LPD).  

You are responsible for your drains up to the point of connection (the legal point of discharge) to our underground drainage system, kerb and channel or a constructed laneway.  

What is legal point of discharge? 

The legal point of discharge is a point specified by council where storm water from a property must be discharged. Council’s primary nominated point of discharge is to the nearest pit or drain of adequate depth and capacity, or alternatively specified by a council officer.

You can apply for a legal point of discharge report from council, which provides the location to which the stormwater drainage discharge from your land must be directed. 

Why do I need a legal point of discharge? 

Your building surveyor must consider this report before issuing a building permit. Council does not keep records of stormwater pipes around homes. This report does not provide  a plan of any private storm water drains. 

How do I apply?

  1. Download the Report and Consent application form. Fill it out and save it to your hard drive to upload when submitting your application. You can only upload PDF, JPEG, JPG documents.
  2. Complete Section 1, Section 2, Section 2.6 and Section 3.
  3. Read our report and consent application user guide to help with submitting an online application, creating a new login and resetting your password and payments.
  4. Click here to submit your application online.
  5. A prompt to make payment will appear. Payment can be made online. Details regarding making payment can be found in the report and consent user guide. The application fee is $144.70.
  6. You will receive an application number immediately and it will be sent directly for processing. 

What is the application process and timeframes? 

We process the request within 10 to 15 business days. This may take longer if we need further information after this assessment. A council officer will forward a written request if this is the case. Find out more about different application stages and time frames

Frequently asked questions: 

 I want to ask a general question about my legal point of discharge. 

 All general enquiries can be directed to council’s drainage engineers using this online request form or by ringing us on 9205 5555. 

 Where can I access Yarra Standard Design (YSD) drawings? 

Access YSD Drawings

Does Council have information of exact measurements and offsets of drains? 

Council does not have information of exact location and depth of drains and pits. A stormwater asset map can be provided upon request to show the indicative details. 

Where can I request for information on our property drain? 

Yarra City Council generally does not keep a record of private property drains. However, in some instances plans can be found by applying through the Council’s portal e-services. 

 I am planning to reuse the existing LPD. Do I still need to apply for a Report & Consent? 

You are required to apply for a LPD if there are any design changes proposed to the stormwater catchment design within the title boundary. This includes any modifications of the roofline, gutters, downpipes, pits, pipes, detention tanks, rain gardens to the LPD. Refurbishment and maintenance works of stormwater drains do not require to apply. 

How long is my legal point of discharge report and consent valid for? 

The report and consent are valid for 12 months from the date of issue. Approved plans are valid and further extended by 18 months from the date of issue.