Extend your footpath trading area


Did you know, you can apply to use your neighbour's footpath trading area to serve your customers? 

  1. Provide a letter from the owner/operator of the neighbouring property. This should express “no concerns” in relation to your business utilising their footpath trading area. Download our example letter.

  2. Download and complete an application for Variation To An Existing Public Space Licence

  3. Prepare a footpath trading site plan detailing all items to be placed in your neighbour’s footpath trading area, including the dimensions of your items (tables, chairs, A-frame sign, etc.) and any Yarra City Council infrastructure (bins, benches, poles, parking signs, etc.) and the times that the items will be placed in your neighbour’s footpath trading area.

  4. Provide a current copy of your public liability insurance (in the form of a Certificate of Currency) for $10 million coverage (or more) noting the business address or ‘anywhere in Australia’ and that it extends to all items placed on footpath.

  5. If your business is licenced for alcohol, you will need to extend your redline plan with Victorian Commission for Gambling and Liquor Regulation (VCGLR) and Yarra City Council’s town planning department, as your customers will not be able to consume liquor in the extended area.

  6. Submit your application by email to [email protected]

Our compliance team will assess your application and notify you of the outcome within 7 days.

If you have any questions, call 9205 5555 to speak to our compliance team.