Personal care and body art businesses include:
- permanent or semi-permanent makeup (cosmetic tattooing)
- facial or body treatments
- manicure or pedicures
- application or mending of artificial nails
- epilation by electrolysis or wax
- ear-piercing and other skin penetration services
- colonic irrigation
You must register your personal care or body art business with us.
Renewing your registration
If you have an existing personal care or body art premises registration providing high-risk services, we will post you a renewal notice from early November each year. If you have a low-risk premises, you apply for a once-off registration which does not need to be renewed annually.
Please visit Enquire about personal care/body art registration to submit all your renewal documentation. You can also let us know if you:
- need to update your contact details (phone, email or postal address)
- need to update your business details (trading name, ABN or the activities conducted at the premises)
- need to update your trading hours
- have recently closed your business or transferred the business to a new owner.
The due date for your renewal fee is 10 December, 2019. Paying by this date ensures that your registration will be current on 1 January, to run until 31 December, 2020. An additional fee will apply for late payments.
Complete a pre-application form to tell us about your proposed business. We'll get back to you and help you apply for the correct permits.
The Department of Health and Human Services has information on setting up and running a personal care and body art business.
Download design and fit out information specific to personal care and body art services.