Where do I start?
The Fair Work Ombudsman (FWO) is the government body supporting small business in meeting their workplace relations responsibilities and improving their workplace practices.The FWO website has extensive specialist information for small businesses, franchises, employees and more.
Calculators and free online tools
The FWO provides a number of free calculators and guides, including these useful tools:
- Pay and Conditions tool - An online pay tool to help you calculate wages and entitlements.
- Record my Hours app - Great for retail and hospitality where staff work irregular hours that don't always reflect rosters.
- Small Business Fair Dismissal Code and Checklist– When letting an employee go, this checklist will ensure that procedural obligations have been met to help avoid unfair dismissal claims.
Check your knowledge online
Try the workplace basics quiz to check your knowledge of employment law, review the best practice guides, and fill in the gaps with the online learning centre. The courses are free and interactive. They take around 20 – 40 minutes to complete. As an employer, manager or supervisor, you may be interested in courses on:
- Record-keeping and pay slips
- Difficult conversations
- Hiring employees
- Managing performance
- Managing employees
- Diversity and discrimination
- Workplace flexibility.
The Small Business Helpline provides quick and easy access to workplace relations advice. Small and family business owners can contact the Helpline by calling 13 13 94 and pressing option 3. You can also register for an account with the FWO to submit enquiries and get tailored information for your business needs, or anonymously report dubious workplace practices directly to the FWO.
There are also a number of online training courses and resources available to help.