Proudly plastic free
We are supporting businesses to go plastic free through our Proudly plastic free program.
A typical café generates 60 kilograms of coffee grounds a week and currently most of this ends up in landfill. You can avoid wasting a valuable organic resource by:
- Setting up a worm farm. Worm farms can manage a small amount of coffee grounds.
- Compost bins like coffee grounds. When adding grounds, mix two thirds coffee grounds to one third leaves.
- Services such as Reground and Closed Loop pick up coffee ground waste and redistribute it to where it’s needed – to community gardens or commercial composting facilities.
Recycling saves energy, water, precious metals – all sorts of resources – doing our planet a favour. Find out what can and can’t be recycled via your recycling bin.
Waste and recycling educational signs
Help your workplace improve the way we recycle to recover valuable resources and keep them out of landfill. Print and display these waste and recycling educational signs to help staff understand which items go into the recycling and rubbish bins.
If your business has separate collections for other waste streams, you can download and use these signs:
- Paper and cardboard sign (973KB, PDF)
- Food and organics sign (615KB, PDF)
- Electrical waste sign (211KB, PDF)
- Soft plastics sign (478KB, PDF)
- Polystyrene sign (142KB, PDF)
- Batteries sign (57KB, PDF)
- CDs, DVDs and VHS tapes sign (154KB, PDF)
All electronic waste is banned from landfill and must be disposed of at a designated collection point to be sent for recycling. Electronic waste is anything with a battery or a plug, including phones, laptops, appliances and toys.
Zero waste map
Our Zero Waste Map is an online directory that profiles business and community initiatives across Yarra that promote waste reduction through their products, services or business practices.
Find local cafe's that give you a discount for bringing a Keep Cup or businesses where you can go to drop off your phone, battery or home appliance so that they can get recycled.
If you know local businesses or community centres that could be profiled on the map, email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
For general information on our waste collection services for businesses, visit our business waste collection page.