Sustainability is important to us, and we know it’s important to businesses in Yarra too. Here are some ways you can deal with business waste in a sustainable way.
From Monday 1 July 2019, electronic waste is banned from landfill and must be disposed of at a designated collection point.
Electronic waste is anything with a battery or a plug, including phones, laptops, appliances and toys.
Yarra has a booming cafe culture and coffee grounds are a useful form of organic waste. A medium-sized cafe can easily stop 3 tonnes of coffee grounds a year from ending up in landfill. That’s equal to preventing 4.2 tonnes of methane gas from being released into our atmosphere.
Some suggestions for how to manage coffee ground waste:
- Have a worm farm. Worm farms can take a small amount of coffee grounds.
- Compost bins like coffee grounds. When adding them, a mix of two thirds coffee grounds to one third leaves is a good mix.
- The Collingwood Children’s Farm accepts coffee ground waste. There’s a limit to how much they can accept, so contact them directly to find out more.
- There are services such as Reground, which charge a small fee to pick up your coffee ground waste. Reground redistributes the coffee waste where it’s needed – to community and home gardens and farmers.
Did you know that soft plastics can be recycled, but not in your normal recycling bin? And it’s okay to put a greasy pizza box in the recycling bin! Read about what goes into your recycling bin.
If you’d like to inspire your customers, clients or staff to get recycling right, we have free recycling posters available for you to download and print for your business.
Yarra Energy Foundation (YEF) provides a range of services and advice to help you:
- improve your energy efficiency
- save money, and
- reduce your carbon footprint.
YEF can assist you with:
- retrofitting for LED lighting
- seeking renewable energy providers
- installing solar panels.
YEF can also link you in with similar businesses in your industry that may have recently improved energy efficiency and can guide you on your sustainability journey.
Waste education signs for your workplace
We all need to work together to improve the way we recycle to recover our valuable resources and keep them out of landfill. Print and display these waste and recycling educational signs to help your staff understand which items go into the recycling and rubbish bins.
If your business has separate collections for other waste streams, you can download and use these signs:
For general information on our waste collection services for businesses, visit our business waste collection page.