How can I set up a food, accommodation or personal care business?

Food, accommodation, personal care and food vehicles businesses must register with us if the primary address is in the City of Yarra.

You must comply with the applicable legislation. (Public Health and Wellbeing Act 2008, Food Act 1984)

If you are taking over an existing business, please see how do I transfer a business.

See the steps below if you are starting up a new food, accommodation or personal care business in the City of Yarra.

For all types of businesses

Step 1 - Check if your business can be conducted at the intended address

You need to make sure that the business you are planning is able to be conducted at your intended address. Contact our Planning department to check the permitted uses and see if a permit is required by calling 9205 5555 or emailing

Step 2 - Obtain the correct building permits

If you are intending on constructing a new building or making any structural changes to an existing building you will need to obtain the necessary permits. Contact our building area on 9205 5555 and speak to a building surveyor for this information.

Step 3 - Obtain an application or notification form