Our role in food safety

We are responsible for making sure that food for sale is safe and suitable for human consumption through administering and enforcing the Food Act 1984.

What we do:

  • Register, accept notifications and inspect premises that sell, store, manufacture, package or transport food for sale including temporary and mobile premises. This includes take away food premises, delicatessens, restaurants, hotels, food manufacturers, mobile food trucks and market stalls.
  • Conduct a food sampling program where food samples are collected from food premises and sent to a laboratory to check for food safety and compliance with regulations.
  • Respond to complaints about food premises hygiene and food handling, contaminated food and suspected food poisoning.
  • Act on all food recalls advised by the Department of Health and Human Services to make sure any unsafe food is removed from sale in food premises.
  • Educate food businesses and the community on food safety by providing information and advice to food premises.

Food businesses not regulated by Council

Some food businesses are not regulated by the Yarra City Council. The table below shows the relevant authority for difference food handling activities.



Meat or game handling or processing


Poultry handling or processing


Fish and seafood handling or processing


Dairy handling or processing

Dairy Food Safety Victoria

The sale or production of herbal medicines

Chinese Medicine Registration Board of Victoria

The sale or production of medicines or consumable medical treatments

Therapeutic Goods Administration