Food premises registration and notification

Food and health registrations for 2019

Food and health registrations are now due for renewal for 2019. If you have not received your renewal invoice or want to make changes to your information please contact us by filling in a request form.

What do I do if I want to run a food business from a premises in the City of Yarra?

Under the Victorian Food Act you must register or lodge a notification with us depending on the classification of your food premises. Registrations and notifications assist us to know the location of all food premises so that we can monitor and assist food businesses in complying with their obligations to handle and sell safe and suitable food and to prevent misleading conduct in connection with the sale of food.

Classification of food premises

Food premises are classified according to the level of food safety risk and the type of food handled at the premises. To find out about the classification of food premises refer to the Department of Health and Human Services information on Food Premises Classification. We are responsible for classifying your food premises.

Higher risk food premises (Class 1, 2 and 3) need to register their food premises.

Class 4 food premises (those that only have low risk food handling) only need to lodge a “once off” notification for the premises with us. You do not need to obtain any formal approval and there are no fees that need to be paid. To lodge your Class 4 notification, download and lodge the Food Premises Notification form

How do I register my Class 1, 2 or 3 premises?

To begin the registration process download and complete the Proposed Food Premises Information Form. This form will allow us to create a record of your food premises so that we can track the progress of your registration.

How do I fit-out my food premises?

Food premises need to be constructed and fitted out in compliance with food safety standards.

For guidance on structural requirements for food premises refer to the Food Premises and Equipment Guidelines

We are happy to provide feedback on the proposed fit-out of your food premises if requested.

What other requirements are there?

Class 1 and 2 food premises need to have a food safety program and a food safety supervisor for their premises in order for registration to be approved. For information on these requirements visit the Department of Health and Human Services website:

In addition to the food safety supervisor requirements it is necessary for all people handling food in a food business to have appropriate skills and knowledge in food safety and food hygiene that is appropriate for their work activities.  A good start for people working in a food business is to complete a free food safety learning program that is available on the Department of Health and Human Services website called Do Food Safely.

What do I need to do if my food premises is a temporary or mobile food premises?

If you are planning to operate from a temporary or mobile food premises such as a market stall, community fundraiser, sausage sizzle or cake stall, you need to register or notify your premises using the Department of Health and Human Services state-wide registration database Streatrader. Note that the same requirements apply to temporary and mobile food premises that apply to other food premises, although the way the requirements are complied with may be different.

If you intend to operate a mobile food premises within the City of Yarra you will need to obtain a Council permit under Council’s Local Law No 2.  Download and submit a Temporary, Mobile Food Premises and Food Trucks application form.

How do I lodge my food premises registration application?

Once you have set up the premises and determined the food safety program and food safety supervisor (for class 1 or 2 premises only), you can request an application for registration. The application form tells you the different ways that you can lodge the form.

What fees will there be?

Fees for registration vary depending on the class of food premises, whether the premises is run to raise funds for charitable purposes and the quarter of the year in which the application is made. The fees for registration are adopted by us as part of the annual budget process.

Registration renewals

Registration lasts until 31st December each year unless you specifically request to register for a short period only.  For annual registrations we send a renewal form out in early November each year to give you plenty of time to renew before the expiry date. Note that Class 4 food premises notifications are not subject to renewal.

Food safety for community groups

The State Government has developed a short video and interactive website to help community groups understand and meet their food safety obligations when selling food to raise funds in Victoria.

The video provides an informative insight into community fund-raising activities while the website covers a range of topics, including community group obligations under the Victorian Food Act.