Business registration

To see what codes affect your business, visit Australian Business Licence and Information Service (ABLIS). ABLIS can identify relevant state, territory, local and Australian government licences, permits, approvals, regulations and codes of practice, allowing you to obtain detailed information and manage compliance obligations. 

Premises registration 

If you are taking over an existing premises, please see how do I transfer the registration of a premises.

If you are starting a new premises, please read below. 

Food businesses (including food vehicles), accommodation businesses and personal care and body art businesses must register with or notify us of any premises in which you'll be conducting business in Yarra.

You must comply with the applicable legislation: Food Act 1984, Public Health and Wellbeing Act 2008.

For all types of premises

  1. Make sure that the business you are planning is able to be conducted at your intended address. Contact our Planning Department to check the permitted uses and see if a permit is required by calling 9205 5555 or emailing
  2. If you are intending on constructing a new building or making any structural changes to an existing building you will need to obtain the necessary building permits. Contact our Building Department on 9205 5555 for this information or email
  3. Set up the premises so it complies with all relevant requirements (see further information on requirements below).
  4. Obtain, complete and lodge an application for registration or a notification form and pay the relevant fees.

Additional requirements for different business types:

Food premises

Personal care and body art premises 

Personal care and body art businesses include hairdressing, beauty treatments, tattooing, ear-piercing and colonic irrigation.

Accommodation premises 

Accommodation businesses are motels, hotels, hostels, student dormitories and rooming houses.