There are more than 16,600 businesses operating in Yarra, making us home to one of the largest economies in metropolitan Melbourne.
Our vision is for Yarra to be recognised as a smart and sustainable city, with vibrant and thriving precincts and an engaged local business community.
Coronavirus (COVID-19): information for businesses
The following information was updated on Wednesday 13 May, 2020.
What we're doing
$7.46 million support package
We’re providing more than $7.4 million dollars of funding and other relief measures to ensure local businesses are supported during COVID-19 and the recovery that follows.
As part of our support package, we will be providing a six month refund (April to September 2020) on the following permits:
You do not need to contact us to cancel your permit or apply for a refund. You will automatically receive a refund, and can continue trading as per state and federal government guidelines during this time.
So far, we have refunded over 1,600 business permit and registration fees, returning over $460,000 dollars to local traders.
We are anticipating it may take up until the end of May for all refunds be to processed. We are working on these refunds as a priority and appreciate your patience.
No fees for new permits
In addition to refunding existing permits, we are also waiving fees for new:
No fees for new parking permits
From 1 April 2020 to 31 March 2021, all eligible businesses under the Parking permit policy will not be charged for business parking permits.
If you have an existing business parking permit due to expire during this period, your permit will be renewed at no cost and your new permit will be valid for 12 months.
If you don't currently have a business parking permit and would like to apply for one during this period, you will not be charged for this permit and it will be valid for 12 months.
Stay Home Guide
We have created an online map of local businesses still operating during COVID-19. Show your support by purchasing products and services from these businesses.
If your business would like to be added to the map, open the map and click "add my business".
As part of the way we are supporting small business owners in Yarra during the coronavirus pandemic, we are hosting a range of webinars on various topics, led by industry experts.
If you run a small business in Yarra, you can book a free, one-hour, one-on-one mentoring session valued at $100 from the Small Business Mentoring Service. Contact us for a special voucher code to book your free session.
What others are doing
- JobKeeper Payment – Businesses significantly impacted by COVID-19 will be able to access a subsidy of $1,500 per eligible employee per fortnight to continue paying their employees. This assistance will help businesses to keep people in their jobs and re-start when the crisis is over.
- Cash flow support for small and medium businesses – Eligible small and medium-sized businesses, and not-for-profits (NFPs) that employ staff will receive cash flow support of up to $100,000 so you can keep operating, pay your rent, electricity and other bills and retain staff. This will be done through two sets of cash flow boosts, with the first delivered from 28 April 2020, through credits in the activity statement system. Eligible businesses do not need to apply with a separate form.
- Relief for commercial tenants – A range of measures to help renters, including a temporary hold on evictions and a mandatory code of conduct for commercial tenancies to support small and medium sized enterprises (SMEs) affected by coronavirus.
- Business Support Fund – Eligible small businesses can apply for funding of $10,000 through a grant process.
- Loan repayments deferred – 98% of all businesses (including not-for-profits) with a loan from an Australian bank are eligible for help. Your bank will allow you to defer principal and interest repayments for all loans attached to your business for a period of six months.
Victorian Chamber of Commerce
- Free membership (up to $700 value)
- Australian Taxation Office (ATO)
- Victorian Small Business Comission (VSBC)
- Inner North Community Foundation
- CitiPower and Powercor
Yarra business handbook
Download our free Yarra business handbook, containing useful information and resources to help you run your business in the City of Yarra.