When do I need a permit?
If you are constructing or installing a temporary vehicle crossing in Yarra you will need a permit.
How do I apply?
Applications are submitted online.
- Download the application form. Fill it out and save it to your hard drive to upload when submitting your application. You can only upload PDF, JPEG, JPG documents.
- Read our permit user guide to help with submitting an online application, creating a new login and resetting your password.
- Click here to submit your application online for a single residential property or one unit.
- Click here to submit your application online for a commercial/industrial property or two or more units.
- You will receive an application number immediately and it will be sent directly to the permits team for processing.
- You will be notified once an assessment has been completed.
- If your works involve closing any of our roads, you will need to provide 7 days written notification to surrounding residents. A template to assist with this can be found here.
How long will my application take to process?
You can expect to have your permit generally within 3 business days from when all required documentation has been supplied and is satisfactory
Should you wish to expedite the process you can attend Richmond Town Hall in person and pay a fast track fee of $70. All required documentation must be supplied at this time.
What do I need to know about temporary vehicle crossings?
- Steel and timber crossovers can only be applied for single residential dwelling developments, for a time period up to 6 months.
- A vehicle crossing from an arterial road must be constructed in accordance with VicRoads Guidelines.
- If a street tree needs to be relocated, our arborist will need to approve this and you will be liable for costs for replacement and removal of any trees.
Will my crossover be inspected?
Yes, we will inspect your crossover at the following stages:
- For steel or timber - installation, removal and each month the crossover is in place.
- For concrete - during construction including excavation, boxing and pouring and when reinstating our footpath, kerb or roadway.
It is your responsibility to make arrangements with us to inspect by calling us on 9205 5555. You must notify us 48 hours before work starts and before the reinstatement of council asset.
Are there any standards for vehicle crossings?
Yes, vehicle crossings must be constructed in accordance with our standard drawings and to the satisfaction of one of our officers.
The following standards will assist you.
- Temporary vehicle crossing standard drawing - chequered plate
- Temporary vehicle crossing standard drawing timber
- Temporary vehicle crossing standard drawing - concrete
How much does it cost?
- Permit Fee - including a weekday inspection
- Single residential property or one unit : $439.20
- Commercial/industrial property or two or more units : $648.90
- Inspection Fee (steel/timber) - monthly inspection: $144.60
If an inspection is required to be undertaken on Saturday, a weekend inspection rate of $439.20 applies.
I want to extend my permit
You must extend your permit prior to the permit expiry date.
You can extend your permit by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org or call us on 9205 5555 and provide the following information:
- permit number
- site address
- number of weeks to be extended
- if there is any changes to the area being occupied
- contact details
- certificate of currency - if the copy on file has expired, you need to send a new certificate of currency.
- other authority approvals (if applicable) - if the extension dates are not covered in the approval on file, you need to contact the relevant authority and request changes.