Work zone - permit requirements - Yarra Council

What is a work zone and when do I need a permit?

You can apply for a work zone permit if you need dedicated parking spaces to park trade vehicles associated with your construction site.

A work zone:

  • allows parking restrictions to be varied/installed at a work site to enable vehicles associated with the construction site to park legally.
  • must be immediately next to the construction site and may extend up to the width of the property it serves.
  • must be in a legal parking area - it cannot be located in a 'No Stopping', 'No Parking' or 'Disabled Parking' area and must be consistent with any planning permit conditions.
  • does not authroise any other construction activity to occur in this area. For example: site sheds, crane lifts, plant equipment or material storage.
  • is only in effect during working times, which will be specified on the signs (generally Monday to Friday 7am to 6pm and Saturday 9am to 3pm). Normal parking restrictions are in place outside of the approved times.

Parking conditions in the surrounding area is considered as part of the assessment of the application. The request will only be approved if there is adequate parking available, which can be allocated for this purpose.

How do I apply?

  1. Download the application form.  Fill it out and save it to your hard drive to upload when submitting your application.  You can only upload PDF, JPEG, JPG documents.   
  2. Read our permit user guide to help with submitting an online application, creating a new login and resetting your password.
  3. Click here to submit your application online.
  4. You will receive automatic verification and an application number which must be used or all future correspondence.              
  5. You will be notified once an assessment has been completed.                  
  6. If your works involve closing any of our roads, you will need to provide 7 days written notification to surrounding residents.  A notification letter template to assist with this can be found here. All stakeholders within 100m must be notified.  All letters must be stamped approved by Council prior to distribution. Please also attach a map for the proposed delivery are of the notification for approval. Permits will not be activated if the letter has not been approved.

There are 2 options to satisfy the requirement for the notification letter:

  • Distribute a letter 7 days prior to works; or
  • Distribute a monthly notification letter, followed by a notification letter 2 days prior to works. (Construction Management Sites Only).  Please refer to your Planning Permit or click here for further information.

You must include the following information with your application:

  1. A plan of the existing on-street parking arrangements, dimensions and noting all street assets. This includes locations of parking signs, line marking, street trees, vehicle crossing or driveways and property boundaries in relation to the road.
  2. Photographs of the nearest existing parking signs to the proposed works-zone areas. Ensure these signs are noted on your plan.

How long will my application take to process?

If your application is approved, it takes 3-4 weeks for the permit to be issued and signs manufactured.

How can I request an update of my permit application?

You can request an update of your permit application using an on-line enquiry.  A permits officer will respond to your request.

How much does it cost?

Permit fees

  • Permit fee - $83.15   
  • Occupancy fee
    • Private single dwelling: $5.00 per square metre per week
    • Commercial: $9.15 per square metre per week
  • Inspection fee - $151.55 per inspection (2 inspections required)

Sign fees

  • Sign manufacturing - approx $30 to $100 per sign
  • Installation of work zone/ sign reinstatement - $378.30 (1 or 2 signs)       

Parking fees

Parking fees may apply if the area you are requesting is a metered parking bay.

  • Occupation of parking bays - parking metre/first day - $64.00
  • Parking metre/each day thereafter - $32.00

Removal of Parking Sensors

If the works are within the parking bay where sensors are located, the sensors must be removed prior to works. Please find application form to remove sensors here.

You can view a map of the parking sensor locations here.  Please note the green indicates the streets where the sensors are installed. 

Once completed, please forward to

I want to extend my permit

You must extend your permit prior to the permit expiry date. If the permit expires, the existing parking signs will be reinstated.

You can extend your permit by emailing or call us on 9205 5555 and provide the following information:

  • permit number
  • site address
  • number of weeks to be extended
  • if there is any changes to the area being occupied
  • contact details
  • certificate of currency - if the copy on file has expired, you need to send a new certificate of currency.
  • other authority approvals (if applicable) - if the extension dates are not covered in the approval on file, you need to contact the relevant authority and request changes.