Work area permit

When do I need a permit?

You will need a work area permit for small scale works. These works could include the use of ladders, mobile scaffold, site sheds and painting.

How do I apply?

Applications are submitted online.

  1. Download the application form.  Fill it out and save it to your hard drive to upload when submitting your application.  You can only upload PDF, JPEG, JPG documents.   
  2. Read our permit user guide to help with submitting an online application, creating a new login and resetting your password.
  3. Click here to submit your application online.
  4. You will receive an application number immediately and it will be sent directly to the permits team for processing.                
  5. You will be notified once an assessment has been completed.                  
  6. If your works involve closing any of our roads, you will need to provide 7 days written notification to surrounding residents.  A template to assist with this can be found here.

How long will my application take to process?

You can expect to have your permit generally within 3 business days from when all required documentation has been supplied and is satisfactory.

You can speed up the process by paying a fast track fee of $70 at Richmond Town Hall. You must provide all the required documentation.

How much does it cost?

Fee schedule includes a once off permit fee, inspection fees (depending on how long the area is required for) and an occupation fee which is calculated using the total area to be used.

  • Permit fee: $79.30
  • Occupancy fee
    • Private single dwelling : $4.80 per square metre per week
    • Commercial: $8.75 per square metre per week
  • Inspection fee: $144.60 (initial and expiry inspections are required)
  • Weekend inspection fee: $439.20 (if required)

I want to extend my permit

You must extend your permit prior to the current permit expiry date.

You can extend your permit by emailing or call us on 9205 5555 and provide the following information:

  • permit number
  • site address
  • number of weeks to be extended
  • if there is any changes to the area being occupied
  • contact details
  • certificate of currency - if the copy on file has expired, you need to send a new certificate of currency.
  • other authority approvals (if applicable) - if the extension date is not covered in the approval on file, you need to contact the relevant authority and request changes.