When do I need a permit?
You will need a work area permit for small scale works. These works could include the use of ladders, mobile scaffold, site sheds and painting.
How do I apply?
Applications are submitted online.
- Download the application form. Fill it out and save it to your hard drive to upload when submitting your application. You can only upload PDF, JPEG, JPG documents.
- Read our permit user guide to help with submitting an online application, creating a new login and resetting your password.
- Click here to submit your application online.
- You will receive an application number immediately and it will be sent directly to the permits team for processing.
- You will be notified once an assessment has been completed.
- If your works involve closing any of our roads, you will need to provide 7 days written notification to surrounding residents. A template to assist with this can be found here.
How long will my application take to process?
You can expect to have your permit generally within 3 business days from when all required documentation has been supplied and is satisfactory.
You can speed up the process by paying a fast track fee of $70 at Richmond Town Hall. You must provide all the required documentation.
How much does it cost?
Fee schedule includes a once off permit fee, inspection fees (depending on how long the area is required for) and an occupation fee which is calculated using the total area to be used.
- Permit fee: $79.30
- Occupancy fee
- Private single dwelling : $4.80 per square metre per week
- Commercial: $8.75 per square metre per week
- Inspection fee: $144.60 (initial and expiry inspections are required)
- Weekend inspection fee: $439.20 (if required)
I want to extend my permit
You must extend your permit prior to the current permit expiry date.
You can extend your permit by emailing email@example.com or call us on 9205 5555 and provide the following information:
- permit number
- site address
- number of weeks to be extended
- if there is any changes to the area being occupied
- contact details
- certificate of currency - if the copy on file has expired, you need to send a new certificate of currency.
- other authority approvals (if applicable) - if the extension date is not covered in the approval on file, you need to contact the relevant authority and request changes.