Hoarding, temporary fencing, scaffolding, gantries

When do I need a permit?

You will require a permit if you erect a hoarding, temporary fencing, gantry, scaffolding or site shed on or over a road, footpath or any other land owned by us.

You will also be charged an occupation fee for any structure located on or over councils land.

Please note: There is currently a known issue with Chrome that impacts our our online forms. If you upgraded your browser during February to March 2020, then you may experience time-out issues when using our forms. We apologise for any inconvenience caused.

Opening our online forms for more than 15 minutes may result in a time-out, and losing information entered when you press 'submit'. To ensure a form doesn't time out, please prepare the information you want to send to us offline, then cut and paste your information into the form. 

If you press ‘submit’ and don't receive an acknowledgment email with a reference number, please email info@yarracity.vic.gov.au

How do I apply?

  1. Download the application form. Fill it out and save it to your hard drive to upload when submitting your application. You can only upload PDF, JPEG, JPG documents.   
  2. Read our permit user guide to help with submitting an online application, creating a new login and resetting your password.
  3. Submit your application online.
  4. You will receive automatic confirmation and an application number which must be used for all future correspondence.           
  5. You will be notified once an assessment has been completed.                  
  6. If your works involve closing any of our roads, you will need to provide 7 days written notification to surrounding residents. You can download our notification letter template to assist you. All stakeholders within 100m must be notified.  All letters must be stamped approved by Council prior to distribution. Please also attach a map for the proposed delivery are of the notification for approval. Permits will not be activated if the letter has not been approved.        
  7.  For CMP sites, please refer to your Planning Permit or visit the Construction Management Plan page on our website.

How long will my application take to process?

Initial assessment of your application can take up to 5 working days. A permit cannot be issued until all required documentation has been supplied and is satisfactory.

Should you wish to speed up the process you can attend Richmond Town Hall in person and pay a fast track fee of $130.00. All required documentation must be supplied at this time.

How can I request an update of my permit application?

You can request an update of your permit application using an online enquiry. A permits officer will respond to your request.

Please note initial assessment of your application can take up to 5 working days.

How much will my permit cost?

Occupancy fees will be charged for the area on which you are placing hoarding, temporary fencing, gantry (includes gantry over a roadway or footpath), scaffolding or site shed. 

  • Permit fee: $84.85  
  • Occupancy fee
    • Private single dwelling or local shop trader: $5.10 per square metre per week
    • Commercial/Industrial property or two or more units: $9.35 per square metre per week
  • Inspection Fee
    • Private single dwelling or local shop trader: $154.60 (minimum of 2)
    • Commercial/Industrial property or two or more units: $275.30 (minimum of 2)
  • Out of hours inspection fee: $469.55 (if required)

I want to extend my permit

You must extend your permit prior to the permit expiry date.

You can extend your permit by emailing info@yarracity.vic.gov.au or call us on 03 9205 5555 and provide the following information:

  • permit number
  • site address
  • number of weeks to be extended
  • if there is any changes to the area being occupied
  • contact details
  • certificate of currency - if the copy on file has expired, you need to send a new certificate of currency.
  • other authority approvals (if applicable) - if the extension dates are not covered in the approval on file, you need to contact the relevant authority and request changes.