Cranes and supporting equipment

When do I need a permit?

If you're placing a crane including support equipment, vehicles and franner cranes on our land you will need a road/footpath occupation permit.

Please note: There is currently a known issue with Chrome that impacts our our online forms. If you upgraded your browser during February to March 2020, then you may experience time-out issues when using our forms. We apologise for any inconvenience caused.

Opening our online forms for more than 15 minutes may result in a time-out, and losing information entered when you press 'submit'. To ensure a form doesn't time out, please prepare the information you want to send to us offline, then cut and paste your information into the form. 

If you press ‘submit’ and don't receive an acknowledgment email with a reference number, please email

How do I apply?

  1. Download the application form. Fill it out and save it to your hard drive to upload when submitting your application. You can only upload PDF, JPEG, JPG documents.   
  2. Read our permit user guide to help with submitting an online application, creating a new login and resetting your password.
  3. Submit your application online.
  4. You will receive automatic confirmation and an application number which must be used for all future correspondence.               
  5. You will be notified once an assessment has been completed.                  
  6. If your works involve closing any of our roads, you must provide 7 days written notification to surrounding residents. You can download our notification letter template to assist you. All stakeholders within 100m must be notified.  All letters must be stamped approved by Council prior to distribution. Please also attach a map for the proposed delivery are of the notification for approval. Permits will not be activated if the letter has not been approved.

There are 2 options to satisfy the requirement for the notification letter:

  • Distribute a letter 7 days prior to works; or
  • Distribute a monthly notification letter, followed by a notification letter 2 days prior to works. (Construction Management Sites Only).  Please refer to your Planning Permit or visit the Construction Management Plan page on our website.

How long will my application take to process?

Initial assessment of your application can take up to 5 working days.  A permit cannot be issued until all required documentation has been supplied and is satisfactory.

How can I request an update of my permit application?

You can request an update of your permit application using an online enquiry. A permits officer will respond to your request.

Please note initial assessment of your application can take up to 5 working days.

A fast track assessment option is now available

On payment of a non refundable fast track fee of $130.00 your permit application will be assessed as a priority. 

This initial assessment may result in the request for further information which may delay the processing time.

You must :

  1. Submit a completed online application.
  2. Outline your request to fast track the assessment in the ‘application description’ section.
  3. Submit at least 24 hours before works commencing.

Your application will be assessed as a priority.

How much does it cost?

The permit and inspection fees for plant and equipment is charged per day.

Residential (single unit) or local shop traders

  • Permit fee: $162.60per day
  • Inspection fee: $154.60per day
  • Out of hours inspection fee: $469.55 per day (if required)

Commercial/Industrial property or two or more units

Permit fee - no road closure

  • Local road/footpath occupation: $275.30 per day

Permit fee - road closure

  • Local road - full road closure: $418.20 per day

Inspection fees

  • Inspection fee: $275.30 per day
  • Out of hours inspection fee: $469.55 per day (if required)

Can I apply for multiple dates on 1 permit?

Yes, you can apply for a multi permit which allows up to 10 dates on 1 permit.

I want to activate my permit

To activate your multi permit you must do the following:

  1. Lodge your request for activation on the website providing the permit number and the date you require the permit to be activated. 
  2. If there are multiple approved traffic management plans for the permit, provide the plan number and confirm what plant and equipment is being used.
  3. For road closures - the approved notification letter must be on file.
  4. Permit activation requests must be submitted by 4.30 pm for next day activations if you wish to commence works at 7am Monday to Friday or for Saturday works commencing at 9am.
  5. Activation requests received after 4.30pm will not be processed until the next business day, therefore you cannot commence work prior to receiving official confirmation.
  6. You will receive a confirmation email from us if the permit has successfully activated.  Works must not start until you receive confirmation.
  7. If you wish to cancel a permit, this request must be received before 9am on the date of the works to receive a refund of the permit and activation fee for that day.

I want to extend my permit

You must lodge a written request via email to

Please include the existing permit details and the dates you would like it extended to.

Any changes to the existing approved permit will require the lodgement of a full application and supporting documents.

How much will my extension cost?

You will be charged as per the fees detailed above.