Report and Consent requirements

When do I need Report and Consent?

You must get a Report and Consent if your building project does not meet the requirements of the Building Regulations 2018.

See below link for the full list of changes to provide assistance in determining the amended reference number.

A report and consent is the process for consulting with and obtaining the approval of a reporting authority when building work may affect assets, infrastructure or amenity of the community.

The appointed building surveyor cannot issue a building permit unless they are satisfied that any required Report and Consent has been obtained.

For further information about the regulations, refer to the Victorian Building Authority.

How do I apply?

To help improve our service, please click here to send us feedback on using the online portal. It will only take a few minutes.

  1.  Download the Report and Consent application form. Fill it out and save it to your hard drive to upload when submitting your application.  You can only upload PDF, JPEG, JPG documents.
  2. For 130 Build Over Easement applications please ensure you complete and lodge the Schedule 1 Form - this will ensure timely processing.
  3.  Read our report and consent application user guide to help with submitting an online application, creating a new login and resetting your password and payments.
  4. Click here to submit your application online.
  5. You will receive an application number immediately and it will be sent directly for processing.
  6. You will be notified once an assessment has been completed.
  7. If you need us to advertise and request adjoining owner comments, the fee is $101.20. You will receive an invoice for this service after lodging the application.

Additional information and reference material can be found:

                 a.  Drawing requirements for 116 hoarding applications.

                 b.  Building over an easement vested in council 130 schedule 1 form.

                 c.  Part 5 Adjoining Owners comments form.

How long will my application take to process?

We process the request within 10 to 15 business days. This may take longer if we need to refer it to other reporting authorities or seek submissions from adjoining owners.

How do I make payment for my report and consent?

Payment can be made online.  Details regarding making payment can be found in the report and consent user guide.

How much does it cost?

To apply online select the application Type.


Definition of what each report and consent covers



Proposed demolition



Building over an easement



Setback from a street boundary not complying with reg 408



Setback from a street boundary not complying with reg 409



Building height not complying with reg 410



Site coverage not complying with reg 411



Impermeable surfaces covering more than 80% of an allotment area



Car parking spaces not complying with reg 413



Side or rear boundary setback not complying with reg 414



Walls or carports not complying with reg 415



Building setbacks not complying with reg 416 (daylight)



Building setbacks not complying with reg 417 (solar access)



Building design not complying with reg 418 (overshadowing)



Window or raised open space not complying with reg 419 (overlooking)



Building design not complying with reg 420 (daylight)



Private open space not complying with reg 421



Siting of appurtenant Class 10 buildings reg 422



Front fence height not complying with reg 87



Fence setback on side or rear boundary not complying with reg 90



Length or height of side or rear boundary fence not complying reg 91



A fence within 9m of an intersection reg 92



Fence setback not complying with reg 94 (daylight)



Fence setback not complying with reg 95 (solar access)



Fence design not complying with reg 96 (overshadowing)



Mast, pole, aerial, antenna, chimney flue pipe or other service pipe



Projections beyond the street alignment



Building above or below certain public facilities



Protection of the Public



Legal Point of Discharge



Installation or alteration of a septic tank system, or construction of a building over an existing septic tank system



Construction of buildings on land liable to flooding



Building on designated land