A community growing space is coming to Hardy Gallagher Reserve
Friday 31 May 2019
The underused bocce courts in Hardy Gallagher Reserve will be transformed into a thriving community garden.
The growing space will bring locals together to share fresh produce, swap gardening tips, and embrace sustainable lifestyles.
There will be opportunities for classes and workshops, and the space will be of great benefit to people without a garden of their own.
The site will maintain a strong link to its history, with one lane being retained for bocce and similar activities.
The draft design was prepared by the North Carlton Railway Neighbourhood House (NCRNH), which will manage the site under a formal licence with Council.
The idea of a community garden attracted strong support from the local community, and about 87% of survey participants described themselves as “highly supportive” of the draft design.
Council formally endorsed the draft design at this week’s Council Meeting (see resolution below) and a timeline for the works will be announced shortly.
Council Resolution of Tuesday 28 May
- notes the feedback received during the public consultation on the design of the growing space;
- notes that there was general support expressed for the draft design proposed;
- endorse the general design and layout of the proposed design and authorise officers to negotiate minor amendments with the North Carlton Railway Neighbourhood House as required to satisfy planning permit requirements and any other regulatory matters;
- authorise the removal of the chain mesh fence on the southern boundary of the site;
- considers the budget submission made by The North Carlton Railway Neighbourhood House in support of construction of the garden and subject to an allocation of funding towards this project in the 2019/20 budget, authorise these funds to be provided for the project via a funding agreement between Council and the North Carlton Railway Neighbourhood House; and
- notes that the ongoing maintenance arrangements will be set out in the supporting documentation appended to a licence agreement for the site.