Yarra residents recognised in the 2018 Queen's Birthday Honour List
Wednesday 13 June 2018
Yarra City Council celebrates all the local residents who received awards as part of the 2018 Queen’s Birthday Honour List.
Yarra Mayor Cr Daniel Nguyen said ‘it is fantastic to see so many members of our community acknowledged for their hard work and dedication to public service.
‘On behalf of Yarra Council I would like to congratulate you all for this significant achievement.’
Among this year’s recipients was Cr Jackie Fristacky, a long-serving Councillor who has been awarded an Order of Australia (AM) for her significant service to local government, and to the Melbourne community.
Cr Fristacky has represented Yarra City Council as an independent Councillor since 2002, including serving as Mayor in 2005/06, 2012/13 and 2013/14.
‘In my role as Councillor I have always sought to make this city a better place for our community,’ she said.
‘Having worked in the Commonwealth and State Governments, I believe Local Government offers the best scope in our 3 tiers to make a direct difference in communities.
‘I hope that this award will help assist my advocacy to persuade Federal and State leaders to invest in sustainable transport, renewables and housing affordability,’
Cr Fristacky is passionate advocate for transport, cycling and sustainability, and is currently the Yarra City Council representative and Treasurer of the Metropolitan Transport Forum, Executive member of the Rail Futures Institute, Vice-President for Transport for Everyone, and a member of the Melbourne Transport Advocacy Group.
She has also been a member of Yarra Council’s Environment Advisory Committee, Bicycle Advisory Committee and Public Transport Advisory Committee.
Read the full list of Yarra-based Queens Birthday honour recipients here –
Order of Australia Member in the General Division - AM
- Ms Jackie Miriana Fristacky, North Carlton for significant service to local government, and to the community of Melbourne.
- Mr William Eldred Hennessy, Clifton Hill for significant service to music as a concert violinist, artistic director, mentor and educator.
- Mr James Gilbert Nicol, Fitzroy for significant service to the community of Warrnambool through contributions to local government, tertiary education, sport, health and social welfare.
- Mr Chong Voon Lim, Richmond for significant service to the performing arts as a musician, composer, producer and musical director, and to the community.
Order of Australia Officer in the General Division - AO
- Dr Christian Andrew Thompson, Collingwood for distinguished service to the visual arts as a sculptor, photographer, video and performance artist, and as a role model for young Indigenous artists.
- Dr Paul Richard Wood, Fitzroy for distinguished service to science, and to global human and animal health, and through biopharmaceutical research and technological advances.
Order of Australia Medal in the General Division - OAM
- Dr Ann Eluned Morgan, Richmond for service to medicine, particularly to infant mental health.
- Mr Christopher John Rodd, Richmond for service to the insurance industry.
Order of Australia Public Service Medal
- Dr Janis Louise Cocking, North Fitzroy for outstanding public service to Defence science and technology.