Yarra Council calls for meeting with Roads Minister following Chandler Highway announcement
Wednesday 27 January 2016
Yarra Mayor Cr Roberto Colanzi will seek an urgent meeting with the Minister for Roads to discuss how the State Government and VicRoads plan to alleviate the impacts of the Chandler Highway expansion on local residents.
This follows the Minister for Roads’ announcement this morning that the Government will be proceeding with a six-lane road expansion and bridge on the western side.
“Yarra has consistently opposed a six lane expansion of the road and bridge because of the unacceptable impact it will have on traffic levels and local residents,” Mayor Colanzi said.
“We will be reviewing the plans in detail. Our focus will be on ensuring that the Government puts in place measures to mitigate negative impacts, such as noise levels; and protection of the Yarra River. Importantly, we also want to know how public transport options will be integrated into the final designs.
“Council has been advocating on behalf of the local community for some time, and led a delegation of residents to discuss their concerns with the Minister late last year.
“Last November Council resolved that it did not support the project for a six-lane widening or six- lane bridge.
“We supported a road and bridge design that provides practical options for integrated public transport and better mobility for local residents requiring transport across the Yarra River,” Mayor Colanzi said.
For media enquiries, please contact:
Unit Manager, Communications - Advocacy, Engagement and Media
0409 267 439