What is a petition?

A petition (or joint letter) is a formal written request to Yarra City Council which has been signed by at least twelve people. Petitions express concern about an issue and request us to take action.

Any person may organise a petition, but only a Councillor can 'table' it at a meeting of Council. When petitions are sent to Council, they are provided to Councillors to give them the opportunity to table them.

What does a petition look like?

A petition has two components:

  • a 'request' - a brief statement telling us about the issue of concern and what action you would like us to take.
  • the 'petitioners' - a list of peoples’ names and signatures.

In order to satisfy the meeting rules, a petition must:

  • not be written in pencil.
  • contain the full text of the request on every page
  • be signed by all petitioners (except electronic petitions - see below).

If you are the organiser of the petition you should attach a separate letter containing your contact details, so we can reply to you after the petition has been tabled.

How do I lodge a petition?

You can lodge your petition by sending it to:

Yarra City Council
Attn: Governance
PO Box 168

You can also deliver your petition to the Richmond Town Hall, 333 Bridge Road, Richmond.

How is a petition formally received?

Once we receive your petition, we will arrange for it to be tabled at a council meeting by a Councillor.

It will then be formally received by us and referred to an officer for action and/or report to a subsequent council meeting.

What about electronic petitions?

Electronic petitions can be submitted, provided it is possible to provide them to us in a way that includes the request and the details of the petitioners. There are a number of providers that can be used to host an online petition, which have the ability to ensure that multiple entries cannot be made and that the text of the petition cannot be altered after the petitioners have added their names of support. While it is not possible to add signatures to an online petition, electronic petitions will be accepted if they are collected via one of these platforms.

How do I lodge a petition to the Victorian or Federal Parliament?

If your want to lodge a petition to Victorian Parliament or Federal Parliament please contact them directly.

For further information contact Yarra City Council on 9205 5555 or email [email protected].