Many LGBTIQ+ people choose to live, work and play in Yarra and we have a long history of promoting equal rights for our LGBTIQ+ community.
Yarra has an important role to play in upholding and protecting our diverse population’s human rights and providing opportunities for participation by the LGBTIQ+ community in the decisions which affect their lives.
What does the committee do?
The Yarra LGTBIQ+ Advisory Committee will provide information, support and advice for our communications and consultations on issues affecting the LGBTIQ+ community.
We’re currently selecting people who submitted an Expression of Interest in February 2021 to join our LGBTIQ+ Advisory Committee.
The twelve positions include:
- a minimum of two representatives from community organisations that support Yarra’s LGBTIQ+ community
- a minimum of two representatives from Yarra’s LGBTIQ+ business community
- up to eight community members.
Community representatives will be people who live, work, study or have another connection to Yarra.
As far as possible the composition of the community representatives will reflect the diversity of the LGBTIQ+ community including:
- people of diverse sex, sexuality and gender
- Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people
- people from culturally and linguistically diverse (CALD) backgrounds
- people with a disability
- people from variety of life stages
- people from different locations across the municipality
For more information, please contact Sarah Jaggard, Senior Advisor Diversity & Inclusion on 9205 5555 or email email@example.com