What does the Aboriginal Advisory Group do?
The Aboriginal Advisory Group is the Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander community's official voice into Yarra City Council.
The group provides the Aboriginal community with ongoing opportunities to raise issues of importance, influence policy development and give feedback on existing programs.
The group oversees the development and implementation of our lead policy for working with the local Aboriginal community, the Aboriginal Partnerships Plan 2015-2018.
The group also serves a vital purpose in ensuring that our projects, policies and other work remains in tune with local Aboriginal community needs, expectations and aspirations.
When does the Aboriginal Advisory Group meet?
The group meets bi-monthly and the next meeting is on 02/05/2019. Agenda and minutes for next meeting can be provided upon request.
At these meetings, the group actively works on a broad range of issues such as health, housing, legal matters, sport and recreation, culture, heritage, environment, employment and training.
How do I join the Aboriginal Advisory Group?
The Aboriginal Advisory Group maintains an open and standing invitation for any member of the Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander community to attend meetings. If you would like any further information call Yarra City Council on 9205 5555 and ask for the Councillor Support Unit or email email@example.com.
Who is on the committee?
The group is co-chaired by Wurundjeri Elder Annette Xiberras and our Mayor, Cr Danae Bosler.
The group’s membership varies from meeting to meeting but generally includes Aboriginal Elders, community members, and Aboriginal representatives from both Aboriginal and non-Aboriginal organisations.
Any given meeting may include representatives from the following organisations:
- Wurundjeri Tribe Land and Compensation Cultural Heritage Council
- Aboriginal Affairs Victoria
- The Neighbourhood Justice Centre
- AFL SportsReady
- Department of Human Services
- Department of Premier and Cabinet
- Melbourne Aboriginal Youth Sport and Recreation Incorportated (MAYSAR)
- Victorian Aboriginal Community Controlled Health Organisation
- Victorian Aboriginal Community Services Association Ltd
- Victorian Aboriginal Education Association Inc.
- Victorian Aboriginal Health Services Cooperative
- Victorian Aboriginal Legal Service
- Local Aboriginal community members
- Local Aboriginal artists
- Brotherhood of St Laurence
- Other locally based Aboriginal organisations
- City of Yarra Councillors
- City of Yarra Aboriginal Partnerships Officer
- Staff from the Community Partnerships Branch and Council officers as required
Terms of reference
You can download and read the Aboriginal Advisory Group terms of reference.