The role of the Environment Advisory Committee represents interests pertaining to all aspects of urban environmental sustainability including (but not limited to) climate change; resource efficiency across water, waste and energy; urban greening and natural capital; local food systems; and the built environment, by providing advice to Council on policy, strategy and other strategic opportunities to progress the organisation’s response to these issues.
What does the committee do?
The Environment Advisory Committee provides advice to Council in respect to:
- emerging and evolving environmental sustainability issues, challenges and opportunities relevant to the City of Yarra;
- the delivery of its Council Plan in relation to environmental sustainability issues;
- development and strategic implementation of environment-related council strategies, including (but not limited to) the Yarra Environment Strategy, Climate Emergency Plan, Waste Minimisation and Resource Recovery Strategy, Urban Agriculture Strategy, Urban Forest Strategy, Nature Strategy and Integrated Water Strategy (as updated from time-to-time);
- key policy development on relevant issues;
- design and delivery of specific environment sustainability programs and projects by Council;
- engagement with the wider City of Yarra community to build awareness of environmental sustainability issues and activities; and
- identifying strategic opportunities to collaborate with other organisations and groups to progress initiatives related to environmental sustainability issues.
Who are the committee members?
The following Councillors were appointed to the committee in November 2021 for a one year term:
In addition to the appointed Councillors, the membership includes 16 community members made up of a minimum of two members from each the following specific subject areas:
- Climate emergency
- Waste management
- Local food systems
- Biodiversity and nature
Sign-up to Yarra Environment e-news to stay informed on membership opportunities.
Terms of reference
You can download and read the Environment Advisory Committee terms of reference
Previous minutes and agendas
Previous minutes and agendas are available upon request by contacting us on [email protected] or on 9205 5555.