The Audit and Risk Committee is established under section 53 of the Local Government Act 2020 (Act).
The role of the Audit and Risk Committee is to provide independent and objective assurance and assistance to the Yarra City Council and its Chief Executive Officer on Council’s risk management, control and compliance framework, and its external financial and performance accountability and responsibilities. In addition, the Committee provides advice to Council that will assist Council in fulfilling its corporate governance and oversight responsibilities.
What does the committee do?
The Committee is required under the Act to:
- monitor the compliance of Council policies and procedures with the overarching governance principles;
- monitor the compliance of Council policies and procedures with the Act, its regulations and any Ministerial directions;
- monitor Council financial and performance reporting;
- monitor and provide advice on risk management and fraud prevention systems and controls; and
- oversee internal and external audit functions.
Who are the committee members?
The following Councillors were appointed to the Committee in November 2021 for a one year term:
- Cr Sophie Wade
- Cr Herschel Landes
In addition, there are three independent members, appointed on the basis of their expertise in financial management and risk, and their experience in public sector management. These independent members are:
- David Ashmore (Chair), CA FCA, appointed 2015
- Helen Lanyon, FCPA, appointed 2017
- Kylie Maher, CPA GAICD PMIIA, appointed 2021
Terms of reference
You can download a read the Audit and Risk Committee Charter.