Council offers residents a free collection service for garden waste such as branches, prunings and grass clippings.
Please note, soil, palm fronds, ivy, blackberry or bamboo plants are not accepted as part of Yarra's green waste collection service.
You can have as many green waste collections as needed per year. Collections usually occur on a Tuesday or a Wednesday.
Council is committed to providing a green waste collection within 10 days of it being requested.
To have your green waste collected:
- Phone Council on 9205 5190 to make a booking.
- Council staff will provide you with a pick-up date and ask questions about the contents and volume of your green waste.
- Council staff will talk to you about the best location to place your green waste.
- The night before the pick-up date, neatly place your green waste items in the agreed location, ready for collection.
- Each collection can be up to a standard trailer load (or one cubic metre)
- All branches must be tied together with string or twine only, in bundles no longer than 1.8m (6ft) in length and 30cm (1ft) in diameter.
- Do not tie branches with plastic or wire
- Lawn clippings or small prunings must be placed in a rigid container (i.e. crate, cardboard box) which can be lifted easily by one person. On most occasions, the container will be returned to you after it is emptied.
Green waste drop-off trial
Council is trialling a green waste drop-off service in February and March 2017.
We want to test whether our community would be interested in using a drop-off service and if the service would make it easier for people to dispose of their garden waste.
Three drop-off sessions will be held on:
- Sunday 26 February 2017
Burnley Street Depot, 440 Burnley Street, Richmond
- Saturday 4 March 2017
King William Street, Fitzroy, outside Sacred Heart Primary School
- Sunday 12 March 2017
Yarra City Council Depot, Roseneath Street, Clifton Hill
Each session will run from 10am to 2pm. For more information, visit our green waste drop-off trial webpage.
Purchase a Green Waste Bin
Council's green waste bins are now avalaible for purchase. The bins have been introduced by popular demand after a Council survey indicated residents were eager for a more effective method to recycle their green waste.
Please note, residents are not required to purchase a green bin order in order to have their green waste collected by Council, and green waste can continue to be bundled or cardboard boxed as usual.
There are no additional charges for green waste collection and they can be booked as many times as needed throughout the year.
Complete an online application for a green waste bin here or download and complete this form GreenWaste_bin_form_Feb2017 (156.62 KB)
Free Christmas tree collection
A free Christmas tree collection service is available to local residents through January.
Collected trees will be mulched, with the mulch to be distributed around Yarra’s parks.
To register for a collection, call Council on 9205 5190 before 31 January. Trees will need to be left out for collection within property lines.
Back to top