Yarra Sports Strategy
Council is developing a Sport and Physical Activity Strategy 2014 – 2019.
Council sought community feedback about the proposal, with the consultation period closing in late July 2014. Feedback will be considered in preparing a final draft strategy that is expected to be considered by Council for adoption later in 2014.
The draft strategy acknowledges the importance of an active healthy community and Council’s role in offering a range of quality facilities, programs and opportunities for sport and physical activity.
It also aims to respond to key challenges, including high population growth, increased and changing demand for sport and physical activity, ageing infrastructure and facilities that are already at maximum capacity, and barriers to participation experienced by people with a disability, women, older adults, social housing tenants and people from culturally and linguistically diverse backgrounds.
A copy of the draft strategy appears below:
Draft Sport and Physical Activity Strategy and Action Plan 2014-19 (397.33 KB)
Draft Sport and Physical Activity Strategy and Action Plan 2014-19 (285.93 KB)
The strategy includes specific actions that fall under five key objectives:
- Planning – ensuring a strategic framework for the future delivery of sport and physical activity through the development of local networks and partnerships.
- Participation – increasing access to and participation in sport and physical activity.
- Promotion – ensuring that residents, businesses and visitors are aware of and have knowledge about how to access local sport and physical activity opportunities.
- Capacity building - building the capacity of local sport and physical activity providers to deliver quality sport and physical education programs that meet the changing needs of the Yarra community.
- Facilities – Planning for and managing Yarra sports facilities, leisure centres and open spaces in a manner that maximises opportunities for participation in sport and physical activity.
Back to top